Getting to the root of it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russknan

Russknan

We have a Honey Locust tree in the back yard that is inclined to throw off a lot of seedlings. A couple invaded the peony bed. Over a couple of years, I kept promising myself - and the Management - that I would cut them down. Remained on "the list" for some time. Finally, last summer, I did it. By then, they had established some significant roots. Decided to cut them out with pickaxe, shovel, brute force, etc. Lot of work! After they were out and I was thinking of an ice cold beer as a reward, I kept staring at those roots. Remembering some of the work done by my friend George (Robutacion), I decided to let them dry out to see how they would look on a pen. This is the first one I've turned. Although there is not a lot of root wood left, based on this one, I'm looking forward to doing more. The roots on the MAIN tree are looking more and more inviting . . . http://www.penturners.org/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
All comments are most welcome! Russ

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2492.jpg
    IMG_2492.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 150
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

.....how long did you wait before turning them? Did you micro wave dry em? The pen looks real nice and the F~N!F is great. Be well................Jan

Russknan

.....how long did you wait before turning them? Did you micro wave dry em? The pen looks real nice and the F~N!F is great. Be well................Jan

I waited about a year. I'd love to say that was careful planning, great knowledge of forestry products, daily weighing, etc. But, like so many things I do, procrastination was the biggest factor! The root piece on this one was just large enough to make the Gatsby, so I'm sure it was ready long before I turned it. I had another one with more dramatic figure, but had a catastrophic catch at a knot. Bad enough that I couldn't think of anything to save it which would still feature the blank enough.

Roots seem to offer a "surprise package" for the turner. You can't be sure of what you'll get when it's still "on the hoof". Think I'm going to keep a toolbox saw in my car just for targets of opportunity. Russ

ZIP IT!

Russknan

Oh, and Jan and Mike,, thanks for the nice comments.
Toyotaman, I'd love to see how your pens turn out. Please post when you do them. Russ

ZIP IT!

Top Bottom