Getting The Hang of It

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VirgilJ

VirgilJ

I've been out of the hobby for quite some time, about seven years or so. My wife got me started again about a month ago by volunteering me to provide two pens for a charity auction the Women's Club is holding. I don't know what in the world possessed her to do that, but it took me two days of garage cleaning before I could even see my lathe let alone turn a pen on it.

After all that time it was like starting over again. I've been making a little progress and this is the first pen I've turned since I re-started turning that I feel pretty good about.

Attachments

• Jr Statesman FP 2.jpg
    Jr Statesman FP 2.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 353
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VirgilJ

Thanks for the kind comments!

I really don't know what the wood is. I have a drawer full of various burls and woods I bought 10 years ago but none of them are marked anymore.

Believe me, my first few pens were a disaster. I turn mostly with a skew and at first it was like I never used one before. One of the first pens I tried to turn was a Breast Cancer Awareness pen with a white inlace acrylester blank. I had a catch and exploded the blank. I think parts of that blank are still in orbit around my garage!!

tgsean

Wow Virgil that is awesome, looks like you never stopped turning! Mate you should turn more, its great. I like the timber too. Its beautiful and unique colour too. Cheers

OZturner

Welcome back Virgil, judging by the Pen, it looks like you never stopped.
A Glorious Pen, Excellent Fit and Finish.
Turning is a bit like Bike Riding, you never forget how to do it, it is just that you wobble a bit when you first start back.
Obviously your wobbling didn't last too long.
Now that you have gone to the trouble of uncovering your lathe, I look forward to seeing some more of your hidden treasures.
Congratulations.
Brian.

VirgilJ

I can't thank you all enough for all the positive comments. It really feels great for my work to gain the acceptance of others that are so much more skilled than I am. In a world where "good enough" and the quick easy fix is the norm, it's really refreshing to be on a forum where so many are dedicated to creating excellence. To gain your praise makes my day!!!!

Top Bottom