Getting better

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jon-wx5nco

Jon-wx5nco

If you look at some of the other pens I have posted here, I'm starting to get better at my turning. My latest pen is a Chrome Sedona RB in a Royal Blue acrylic. I'm starting to get my tubes or barrels in more of a straight line instead of a bubble (examples of the 'bubble' can be found at http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64545).

Sedona-royalblue.jpg

Any and all comments, suggestions, and critiques are welcome
Thanks for looking
Jon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Much better looking shape there. Its funny how straight it looks on the lathe but when you put it together you see it's still got a good bit of curve to it.

Jon-wx5nco

Yeah, no kidding. I think I have it perfectly straight, it's curved. When I think I have a slight curve, I wind up with a bubble. Like you said, it looks good until you press everything together.

phillywood

Jon, this one looks much better though. I think you are on the right track, like the old timers say we all have to pay our dues. Well, the other thing I was going to say take a pic of it capped together and look at it on the screen for your self again. Or, ask the member whom you get inspired by their work to give you a mid point and end point measurement then you can use your caliper to gauge against that 'til your eyes get used to them. I am sure your gonna laugh once I start turning. but for now that looks very nice.

Brooks803

You've done a great job on this one. Something I started doing when I had that same problem is once I think I'm done turning I'll hit it with 240grit sandpaper and then take it off the lathe and hold it in my hand like I would once it's finished. That way I have a good feel for it and I can take more off if I have the "bubble" effect still.

Jon-wx5nco

Phill and Brooks803, great tips! Thanks for sharing. I'm always trying to find ways to improve. Now that its less than 100ºF outside, I can get back into the garage and start making pens again.
Thanks again for the tips!

Top Bottom