Georgia Bulldawg Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from S.A.Mappin

S.A.Mappin

This was for my wife's boss, who happens to be a Bulldawg fun. It's more of a sit-on-my-desk-only type of pen. More for show than anything. His office was done in black and dark gray with Bulldawg accents and paraphenelia in and about the room, so I made the colors to match.

Its segmented with Redheart, Buckeye Burl, and Ebony woods, with a Redheart top.

The top was tricky, but I like the overall outcome. I just started practicing with this type of work, and was happy with the end result.

As always, comments and constructive critique's are welcome.

100_2209.jpg

100_2208-1.jpg

100_2206-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

S.A.Mappin

No sir, I used a pen wizard. Just didn't tube it all the way thru, just on the ends. I actually glued in the brass tubes after it was finished. Pressed on the hardware, then glued them into the ends of the finished blank.

leestoresund

I've scored the brass tubing using my pen wizard, so...
other than ruining a bit why not just run all the way through a tubed blank?

I know that this is primarily for display but I would be concerned about the strength of just the wood.

I really like the pen and the concept.

Lee

S.A.Mappin

I've scored the brass tubing using my pen wizard, so...
other than ruining a bit why not just run all the way through a tubed blank?

I know that this is primarily for display but I would be concerned about the strength of just the wood.

I really like the pen and the concept.

Lee

Thank you Lee.

I have not tried it yet, a good bit might be fine with cutting thru the tube, it may just dull quicker. Maybe a carbide tipped bit would be better.

As far as the strength, it does create a dilemma if you use too much of a pitch when making the cuts, the wood becomes flexible like a spring. Thats why I used less pitch, and less cuts also. I thnk I used 4 cuts on this one with a 1/8 bit.

I've done one with a wider head on the bit, but I only made 3 cuts.

I also did not glue in the tubes until after I pressed on the hardware. I cringed at the thought of trying to press it all together and breaking the top after the time to it took to turn, and finish.

seamus7227

very neat concept! you should make a modification to use a clear tube on the upper barrel so that way if you need to keep the pen from drying out, it will be covered, while still maintaining the look you are trying to achieve! Great work!

S.A.Mappin

very neat concept! you should make a modification to use a clear tube on the upper barrel so that way if you need to keep the pen from drying out, it will be covered, while still maintaining the look you are trying to achieve! Great work!

Thats a good idea, and something I'll definitely look into. Know where I can get some clear tubes?

kinggabby

Even if it were to dry out I still love the design. I hope to get me a PW someday. And the day I am able to I might just wet myself. Again awesome work.

Top Bottom