Georges Resifill Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kanxrus

Kanxrus

I got my first shipment of resifill blanks from George this week. I turned my 1st one last night. I've turned several pens since my "1st pen" post last week. This was very challenging for me to turn through two different materials at the same time. I also made my first attempt at a CA finish. Didn't turn out so well, but I learned some things in the process. Overall the pen turned out ok, but not near as good as I'd hoped for.

When I edited the picture, I used s soften effect. It took the shine off of the pen. It does have a really nice shine to it.

ColonialRedGum.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boxxmaker

I know what you mean about that editing,I think it looks great and no doubt has a beautifull gloss.I don't know how you did the CA, but I just started making pens myself an have started using CA,but only use it on wood pens and have had gret success with it.One tip is just squirt about 3 or 4 drops on a paper towel as you hold it under the pen then as soon as you see the wood is wet all the way accross get away from it,then let it dry for about two min,then litely sand with 800,at a very slow speed,wipe off the dust an repeat the proccess up to as many coats as you want,I apply about 5 coats,then let it dry about 5 min,then wet sand with micro mesh from about 4000 to 12000 apply a coat of carnuba wax and I'm done.I have read that some turners let the CA setup for several days before the final sanding and buffing,But I gueass that would depend on how fast to wanted to complete the pen.Now as for acrylics,all I do is wet sand to 12000 then buff with a clean paper towel an apply a coat of wax.Good luck and I hope I was some help.

Last edited:

robutacion

I got my first shipment of resifill blanks from George this week. I turned my 1st one last night. I've turned several pens since my "1st pen" post last week. This was very challenging for me to turn through two different materials at the same time. I also made my first attempt at a CA finish. Didn't turn out so well, but I learned some things in the process. Overall the pen turned out ok, but not near as good as I'd hoped for.

When I edited the picture, I used s soften effect. It took the shine off of the pen. It does have a really nice shine to it.

Gezzz... mate, you haven't wasted any time, huh...???:wink::cool:

You are a brave person in getting into those type blanks, still in your very beginnings of pen turning, they can be challenging to say the least but it have done a great job with it.

That is one of the last Resifills I've made, from the Colonial Red Gum Burl I got recently in the green/blue/yellow resin, the blues and whites with that same wood should come up pretty neat too...!

Well, you have a few to play with so, you've got work to do.

Good luck, looking forwards to see some more...!

PS: I finish these Resifill blanks exactly the same way I do with the wood only, 2 to 4 coats thin CA and then 4 to 8 coats of medium CA, depending of how porous the wood is, which this Red Gum Burl is not...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_1550_(1).jpg
    100_1550_(1).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_1554_(1).jpg
    100_1554_(1).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Kanxrus

I put a few drops on a rag, and without the lathe turning I rubbed the CA on, while I hand turned the lathe. I did 3 coats this way. The 3rd coat was not quite finished and I thought it was. Went to sand and.....whoops still wet! Rinse and repeat.....

Thanks for the helpful info. I will give your method a try.

Kanxrus

Gezzz... mate, you haven't wanted any time, huh...???:wink::cool:

You are a brave person in getting into those type blanks, still in your very beginnings of pen turning, they can be challenging to say the least but it have done a great job with it.

That is one of the last Resifills I've made, from the Colonial Red Gum Burl I got recently in the green/blue/yellow resin, the blues with that some wood should come up pretty neat too...!

Well, you have a few to play with so, you've got work to do.

Good luck, looking forwards to see some more...!

Cheers
George

Thanks George, I will take some better pictures of this pen. I will turn this thing around and try to get a shot of the wood. The wood grain really pops!

Top Bottom