George's Norfolk Pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

Norfolk Pine that I won in one of George's wood identification games on one Smitty's gold ti Le Roi Royale. First time for both blank and kit.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Norfolk Pine that I won in one of George's wood identification games on one Smitty's gold ti Le Roi Royale. First time for both blank and kit.

Thank you for mentioning my name as the provider of that blank.

That blank is not what I would consider a normal blank from that tree species, the knot is, and without if, there wouldn't me much movement in the wood however, when I cut the small tree from where I cut my blanks from, there was a small area of the lower part of the tree where its seemed to have been hit with something, it looked like a sort of a saw that was oozing a fair amount of sap/resin.

When I processed that part of the log, I saw that, the area affected had lots of veins of resin concentrated all in that small area, it didn't look like a burl but, cross cutting some of that wood, the grains were quite burly but strange.

It looked beautiful in fact, I endup with about 1 dozen of these selected blanks that, I used for special occasions, not for me but, for others. I don't recall if I sent you 1 or 2 of these blanks but, I would say, I sent only one, I was saving them for those occasions.

I recall a couple of other people that, got also 1 of these blanks, in some of those own blanks selection situations I find myself in, which I adore so, that was all good until a couple of months ago, I had a visitor from France that contacted me for a possible visit, in his Australian holiday.

I had warn him about the "lolly-shop" that, he mentioned have heard of before, somewhere so, it was fun to see him and his wife, dropping their jaws as they enter the shed (well, sort of...!)

They spend all afternoon with us, mostly in between the lolly-shop and the work-shop but while in the lolly-shop making a selection of what he and the wife liked (she was even worse than him...!:biggrin:), I gave him a box and asked him to put what he wanted in it.:eek::)

I was watching and answering any questions they may have and behind where I was (leaning against the table) I had some large shelves with all sorts of pen blanks, some lose, other bundled together, if they were the same, they are not listed and are a combination of all sorts that I keep in there, and also where I put those "special" blanks that I come across but, I don't want to list or, there are not enough to list.

We started looking, taking some out, putting them back and he asked if those were for sale and I replied that, yes they are so, that got him even more excited as he had already spotted a few specials I had in there and, one of the reasons he spotted them so easily, was because I had written on them "special"...!:biggrin:

He grabbed a small bundle with 7 of these blanks and said, "wow, these are Norfolk Pine blanks but, I never seem them like this so, I take the lot...!"

I wasn't totally surprised, and it was not the first time that I got caught in a similar situation with visitors, on them can see what I have there, even if is not listed however, I started by keeping some of the blanks that I wanted for my own collection, in those shelves or visible to them and a few time I had to say no, I don't sell those so, I decided to prevent that by making sure, any blanks I want to keep for myself, is store in my computer room, at the house..!

I know that, it was a long story and post, just to say that, if someone wants some of these, I have none left, sorry...!

Cheers
George

Cwalker935

Thank you for mentioning my name as the provider of that blank.

That blank is not what I would consider a normal blank from that tree species, the knot is, and without if, there wouldn't me much movement in the wood however, when I cut the small tree from where I cut my blanks from, there was a small area of the lower part of the tree where its seemed to have been hit with something, it looked like a sort of a saw that was oozing a fair amount of sap/resin.

When I processed that part of the log, I saw that, the area affected had lots of veins of resin concentrated all in that small area, it didn't look like a burl but, cross cutting some of that wood, the grains were quite burly but strange.

It looked beautiful in fact, I endup with about 1 dozen of these selected blanks that, I used for special occasions, not for me but, for others. I don't recall if I sent you 1 or 2 of these blanks but, I would say, I sent only one, I was saving them for those occasions.

I recall a couple of other people that, got also 1 of these blanks, in some of those own blanks selection situations I find myself in, which I adore so, that was all good until a couple of months ago, I had a visitor from France that contacted me for a possible visit, in his Australian holiday.

I had warn him about the "lolly-shop" that, he mentioned have heard of before, somewhere so, it was fun to see him and his wife, dropping their jaws as they enter the shed (well, sort of...!)

They spend all afternoon with us, mostly in between the lolly-shop and the work-shop but while in the lolly-shop making a selection of what he and the wife liked (she was even worse than him...!:biggrin:), I gave him a box and asked him to put what he wanted in it.:eek::)

I was watching and answering any questions they may have and behind where I was (leaning against the table) I had some large shelves with all sorts of pen blanks, some lose, other bundled together, if they were the same, they are not listed and are a combination of all sorts that I keep in there, and also where I put those "special" blanks that I come across but, I don't want to list or, there are not enough to list.

We started looking, taking some out, putting them back and he asked if those were for sale and I replied that, yes they are so, that got him even more excited as he had already spotted a few specials I had in there and, one of the reasons he spotted them so easily, was because I had written on them "special"...!:biggrin:

He grabbed a small bundle with 7 of these blanks and said, "wow, these are Norfolk Pine blanks but, I never seem them like this so, I take the lot...!"

I wasn't totally surprised, and it was not the first time that I got caught in a similar situation with visitors, on them can see what I have there, even if is not listed however, I started by keeping some of the blanks that I wanted for my own collection, in those shelves or visible to them and a few time I had to say no, I don't sell those so, I decided to prevent that by making sure, any blanks I want to keep for myself, is store in my computer room, at the house..!

I know that, it was a long story and post, just to say that, if someone wants some of these, I have none left, sorry...!

Cheers
George

You are correct, you sent just this one. I did not look it up on your timbers list until after I had turned it. I was surprised by the pine smell when I cut into it. It was a bit of a bugger to work with and was a challenge for me. It required several thin CA soakings while turning and had some voids that had to be filled as I went. In short, I think it helped me advance my skill level a little. In the end, it made a beautiful pen IMHO.

Top Bottom