George's Coconut Husk.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Beautys_Beast

Beautys_Beast

As requested, here is George's Coconut Husk blank turned on a Cortona Stylus pen.

Thank you George for this opportunity. It really is a beautiful pen, I wish my photography skills were better.

Attachments

• DSC00129.jpg
    DSC00129.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 256

robutacion

As requested, here is George's Coconut Husk blank turned on a Cortona Stylus pen.

Thank you George for this opportunity. It really is a beautiful pen, I wish my photography skills were better.

Wow, that was fast...!:eek::biggrin:

If my memory serves me well, that would be the first pen I've seen made with this material even though, I had made a few full-size pen blanks that sold at that time (2015).

Beautifully finished, tells us a little about your experience working with that material that and as I made mention a few times at the time I made them that, this was the closest thing I could find that simulates the Palm root blanks that I haven't been able to find any raw material in many years.

Thank you for being part of this "offer" and thank you for making it all so quickly.:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

Beautys_Beast

Working with this blank was very easy. I am not an overly experienced turner, as I have only been turning for about a year, but I do turn a lot of Rhino plastic, which seems to be kinda brittle as opposed to other acrylic I have turned, so I have learned to take things slow, and keep my tools really sharp.

I painted the tube blue, as I didn't want to find out to late, that the acrylic part would show through.

I sharpened both of my skews, and both of my roughing gouges right before turning this blank. The acrylic portion turned like normal, run of the mill acrylic. It didn't "feel" brittle under the roughing gouge or the skew. The coconut husk kind of turned to dust under both the roughing gouge and the skew. Not in a bad way, as the blank was very solid, It just didn't ribbon, or shave off, but "dusted" off. I took gentle cuts with it, but that was because I didn't want to screw it up.

After I turned it to shape, I lightly sanded with 600 dry. The Coconut husk sands beautifully. I then wet sanded, still on the lathe from 1500, to 12k with micro mesh. I wiped it down between each pad to get the "slurry" off of it, as I didn't know how it would react. After sanding to 12k, I stopped the lathe, and took a good look. I noticed that there were a few places on the coconut husk, that didn't polish. Most of it had, but a few places it hadn't. I applied 4 coats of thin CA glue, letting it dry about 5 minutes between coats. After the 4th coat, I removed it from the lathe, and placed it on a peg to dry for about an hour. I don't use accelerator. I then put it back on the lathe and re-sanded it with my micro mesh pads from 1500 to 12k, then buffed it with a quick coat of Maquire's for a really deep shine.

George, once again, I really appreciate the "Offer" and I look forward to turning the other 3 blanks. They haven't told me what kind of pen they want to be yet, but they will when it is their time.

P.S. If I may ask, what is in your acrylic, that adds the micro glitter? I really love it.

Top Bottom