The George collection.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Krash

Krash

These are the pens I have made from blanks received from George (robutacion) Bits of Timber down under in Australia. I plan on just updating this thread each time I use one of his blanks. Go over to his vendor site and check out his wonderful selection of wood! :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

My first pen.

Amboyna Burl in stabilized in blue resin on a Classic Elite 2 kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Trey

Very Nice Kelly! I look forward to much Georgewood work and postings!
Love the Classic Elite 2...that's a good looking kit!

robutacion

I appreciate this thread and the sentiment behind it, I hope that works as good as you and I think...!

I thought that you had made more pens with my blanks anyway, this will be a great "catalogue" for both of us, I rely on you guys to make the transformation, I simply supply the "raw" material so, you guys and gals are my most respected Ambassadors of my existence, work and stories behind it, seeing the blanks transformed, has been one of the most gratifying experience, thank you...!

I have a few IAP members buying and working with many of my blanks, I believe correct and fair to say that, the one with the most pens shown with my blanks, is no doubt, Sean George (tgsean), of which I'm most grateful for.

Believe it or not, I have sold to IAP members, some blanks that were a one-of, even though they were sold to multiple members, I'm yet to see a single pen made with those and that saddens me, most blanks I have a good idea of how they will like only because I made a sample out one of those blanks however, that is very different than seeing in with one of many possible pen kits.

I once (some time ago) made new blanks using some specific items made for the use on the kitchen, was a particular material that, when mixed with PR, did produce a very strange but very positive reaction that made those blanks some of the best materials better suited for kitless pens so, I offer some of those blanks to a well known member of IAP, as he was producing some very good quality kitless pens, before the style took off and many more turners, are now well advanced in their making.

Anyway, I asked if he would make at least 1 (one) kitless pen from those new blanks and show it to us all, I was very excited about seeing what he would do and his review/opinion to the blanks suitability to these type of more fragile pem making but, until today, I still have heard or seen any reference of any king, of those blanks, as a result, I stop making any more but purchase a large amount of the materials I needed to make them if, they would work as good with the thread cutting and strength in general.

I could have made a kitless pen myself but, I don't think that I have all the appropriate tools to make them so, I let it go but not forgot...!

I may come back and invite someone good at making kitless to accept making one to see if I was right or not, I still have a couple of those blanks made, here...!

Good luck...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Krash

Another blue-stained Amboyna Burl Classic Elite 2 pen.

The first one was so popular that I sold two more before I made them! People LOVE this wood!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 216

robutacion

Another view ...

Great pen, Kelly...!

Interestingly, the initial idea for the making of these blanks was to utilize the quite unappealing raw Amboyna sapwood, the colour doesn't give much merit to the burl eyes within it, they are almost invisible as is but, when enhanced with a colourant/dye, the natural beauty jumps out significantly, being also stabilized, the sapwood softness has become a much more user friendly material...!

Despite the fact that, the intent was to utilize this sapwood, a few blanks had a very tiny amount of heartwood in them and the whole dying effect, turn into another level, with the red's brightness of the heartwood so, keeping that in mind, the 2 burls I processed recently, have yield a fair number of blanks that allowed the blue dye stabilization and also the casting of some of these pieces, some stabilized blue and some in the raw form and the results here amazingly good, some Amboyna heartwood is very red and that really enhances the final results quite dramatically but, in a positive way...!

I'm not sure if, any of the last 4 you ordered have that red heartwood bits, there weren't many done on the first batch, of which all blanks supplied to you, belong to however, if you require any more in the recent future, I suggest you try a couple of these blanks with the red bits on them...!

Lets get this "collection" grow and grow...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Krash

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 324
Top Bottom