Gent's roller with box elder burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickTaylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickTaylor

My first screw-cap. Critiques anyone? Thanks for looking.

936002831_c2ba4d1e5f_b.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Great piece of wood! At the very bottom, is it turned down to a little less diameter than the bottom part? That bottom is pretty big, and it seems to me to be almost to overwhelm the bottom half of the pen. but that could also be b/c the color of the wood is similar to the gold finish. The finish on the wood looks great!

PatrickTaylor

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Great piece of wood! At the very bottom, is it turned down to a little less diameter than the bottom part? That bottom is pretty big, and it seems to me to be almost to overwhelm the bottom half of the pen. but that could also be b/c the color of the wood is similar to the gold finish. The finish on the wood looks great!

It must be the camera angle b/c I can't even feel any difference there with my fingers. It's flush for sure.

Thanks!

A great looking pen indeed![:D]

To pick up on something else related to the comments Angboy made, the black ring diameter is the largest hardware diammeter on the pen, when I use that hardware I like to make the cap with a curve that at it's apex is larger in diameter than the hardware, but still returns for a flush fit where it counts. The visual look with the curve takes away that "Proud" hardware look..I really an starting to dislike that accent ring on the capped pens, I have started to remove them. This is not a critisism of your pen, just a critique on how the hardware and the pen body can visually work to trick the eye I think.[:eek:)]

I like the picture too, but we want to see the blank more than the hardware..[8D]

PatrickTaylor

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />A great looking pen indeed![:D]

To pick up on something else related to the comments Angboy made, the black ring diameter is the largest hardware diammeter on the pen, when I use that hardware I like to make the cap with a curve that at it's apex is larger in diameter than the hardware, but still returns for a flush fit where it counts. The visual look with the curve takes away that "Proud" hardware look..I really an starting to dislike that accent ring on the capped pens, I have started to remove them. This is not a critisism of your pen, just a critique on how the hardware and the pen body can visually work to trick the eye I think.[:eek:)]

I like the picture too, but we want to see the blank more than the hardware..[8D]

Thanks for the comments. I understand your comment on the cap curves. I gave it a slight curve but maye I'll do more next time. I didn't want to make it too curved and contrast with the straighter barrel.

Here's a photo that you may like better.
939760403_71e316de43_b.jpg

toolcrazy

Very nice pen. Only complaint I have is the pics are a tad too big. You may consider cropping them down a touch. But the pen is gorgeous.

bananajeep

Your photo really captures the details of the wood and hardware. What was the setup you used, Lights, tent, background, camera and settings.

Very nice job on the pen too!

Mike

PatrickTaylor

Originally posted by bananajeep
<br />Your photo really captures the details of the wood and hardware. What was the setup you used, Lights, tent, background, camera and settings.

Very nice job on the pen too!

Mike

I built the "phrugal phototent" that Jamie Donaldson recommends: http://jamiedonaldsonwoodturner.com/techniques.html

It was about $40 in materials (lighting included). Very easy and highly recommended! My camera is NOT a DSLR. It is considered a "prosumer" because it has full manual controls. The model is Sony DSC-V3. It's a few years old now.

All my photos are on flickr (user "patrickdylan"), and those inclined can see the exif data for all the photos, like this: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=939760403

Bottom line is: no flash, aperature priority mode, exposure compensation increased to add light, camera on a tripod about 2 feet away, auto-focus on part of the pen 1/3 back from the nearest to the farthest point.

I'm no photographer, and don't really know what I'm doing, but read a lot of forum posts and tried things until I found what works for me. I do not edit my photos on the computer. What you see is straight off the camera.

Hope that helps. thanks for looking and thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom