Gentlemen's Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I turned this one tonight and I have to say I was pretty excited. This blank comes from Bill in Arizona, a red stabilized box elder burl. I had a few momenst of excitment and almost lost the top a few times to voids and cracks but thank God for CA glue. The finsih is a micromesh sanding (wet) to 12,000 Nove step 2 polish, then three applications of Mylands friction polish. I finished that off with an coat of Lee Valley's Conservators micro crystaline wax and buffed.

Thanks for viewing

2004113024849_IMG_0345.jpg

200411302496_IMG_0336.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

$100.00 going once, twice, thrice.........SOLD ! Great job, Wood is always one of a kind. Terrific blank too. Bill allways has some nice things. Good reason to be excited Jim

C_Ludwigsen

Mighty nice pen. That dyed boxelder is a darn close version of a Faux Red mallee Burl. Great job. Let me guess, you use that board in the background to cut sandpaper???

wayneis

Very nice work Jim. I did some of the same red blanks from Bill and with the brown I thought that I'd somehow burned them. I drilled and turned two and had the same browm marks and ended up asked Bill about it, he said he didn't think that I had burned them and that it was just those blanks, now that I see yours I feel a lot better.

Wayne

dougle40

Great job Jim !
Was that Box Elder actually dyed or is it natural heartwood ?
I just posted a pic of a Box Elder pen under "Too many Curves" that was turned from BE heartwood .

Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />Mighty nice pen. That dyed boxelder is a darn close version of a Faux Red mallee Burl. Great job. Let me guess, you use that board in the background to cut sandpaper???

Thanks very much for the nice words,

The back ground is the butchers block in the kitchen....one day I will spend some time learning how to take pictures of my pens..Thanks again!
[:)]

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />Great job Jim !
Was that Box Elder actually dyed or is it natural heartwood ?
I just posted a pic of a Box Elder pen under "Too many Curves" that was turned from BE heartwood .

Hi Doug,

This is a stabilized blank I bought from Bill at Arizona Silhouette, it came dyed, it's a wonderful wood to turn...Stabilized![;)]

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Very nice work Jim. I did some of the same red blanks from Bill and with the brown I thought that I'd somehow burned them. I drilled and turned two and had the same browm marks and ended up asked Bill about it, he said he didn't think that I had burned them and that it was just those blanks, now that I see yours I feel a lot better.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I love the contrast of the dyed and undyed protions of the blank. I have turned some double dyed blanks from Bill as well, they were incredible!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Very Very Nice.... as usual an exceptional piece of wood from Bill B... he does have some real nice eye candy for us doesn't he...
You did an fantastic job on that pen...

jkirkb94

I just took another look at your pen and just realized that the photography is great. It really shows off the colors of the pen! Tell me about your camera and lighting. Kirk [8D]

Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />I just took another look at your pen and just realized that the photography is great. It really shows off the colors of the pen! Tell me about your camera and lighting. Kirk [8D]

Hi Kirk,

I appreciate the kind words.

The shot was made in my kitchen on the butchers block..the setting on the camera was digital, Macro (slightly out of focus though), manual, 200 asa, no flash, under a halogen light...hope that helps.

Take care,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom