Gent fountain with custom walnut box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

This is the same Gent fountian I posted a few back for my niece's wedding (tomorrow). I could not find a box I liked to fit this pen, so I just made one.

It's drastically larger than most pen boxes. I wanted the design to be nice and simple, square edges, and good hinge hardware. I like the barrell hinges, and fortunately our cabinet shop has a drill-press type machine called and EcoPress that has the EXACT size bit you need and can be set to the exact spacing needed for these lil fellers.

Finished with the same conversion varnish the pen is finished with. The walnut comes from the same stock that I made a nice walnut/curly maple coffee table for my mother, so my niece will love it.

walnutbox_leighanne_weddinggift2.JPG

walnutbox_leighanne_weddinggift.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Originally posted by SteveRoberts
<br />Helluva box!. I admire your effort. What do you think it adds to the value?

It's just THAT much more priceless!

In reality, all you need to do this (beyond the normal stuff like a table saw and a good orbit sander) is a 1-hp router and a couple of bits and a bit of knowledge on using a template to hog out the hole.

Took me, on this one box, fiddling with the hinges which I'd never used before (ie, education time) around 3-4 hours to make it. I could probably turn out 10 of them in 10-12 hours. Cost of materials is around $13, so with labor and all, I wouldn't take less than around $50 for the box by itself. In other words, I'll use the mass-produced boxes from CSUSA and PSI for most sales, but for a special family member or if I have someone that wants a $1,000 mammoth ivory Emperor, I'll go to this trouble. Now I just have to find someone who wants a $1,000 mammoth ivory Emperor [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom