Gemsbok Horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from terryf

terryf

Turned a bit of Gemsbok horn yesterday. Very easy to turn and finishes well without CA or other coatings. Quite difficult to get all the minor scratches out, sort of like acrylic in that way.

I sanded this one starting at 220 through to 1200 then MM through to 12000 and finally buffed.

Found it quite difficult to photograph this one and the best pic came out with a dirty background and the DOF being a bit shallow!! Anyways, here ya go.

Thanks for looking and have a super day :)

Attachments

• gemsbuck horn vail_filtered.jpg
    gemsbuck horn vail_filtered.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 293
  • gemsbok.jpg
    gemsbok.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

That is a beautiful pen !! I've never seen a Gemsbok horn nor heard of the animal.:rolleyes: I think it has to with being in Texas:eek:. I think putting the picture of the animal with the pen was a neat idea. Great job. Thank you for showing! Regards, Doc

terryf

Thanks Jim, those animals are amazing. If you throw a stone at it they will swat it back at you without moving a foot.

lol Donnie, I dont hunt, just collect from those that do although Gemsbok biltong (jerky) is really tasty stuff.

terryf

Thanks Jeff - Im sure they would do pretty well at baseball :)

Fred, I am liking them and I'm finding them quite challenging which is helping in my learning. Besides, I'm fortunate enough to live in a country which abounds with such materials.

Merry Christmas to you and yours Fred :)

wiset1

Beuatiful pen! I think I'll have to try horn one of these days since they turn out so amazing...then again mine may be a disaster. I'll just keep looking at your pen, ha ha ha.

terryf

Great looking pen!

Thanks Stan!

Beuatiful pen! I think I'll have to try horn one of these days since they turn out so amazing...then again mine may be a disaster. I'll just keep looking at your pen, ha ha ha.

Thanks Tim, its actually very easy to work with - you should give it a try. In fact I've got a spare piece here that's big enough for a Sierra - PM me your address and I'll post it to you :)

So, how did you prepare the rest of the Gemsbok?

Biltong!!:biggrin:

Mooi pen Terry:biggrin:

Dankie Skip :biggrin:

ctubbs

Very impressive pen! The Gemsbok is also. I am afraid that his horns would be outlawed in the majors as being nonconforming.
Charels

Top Bottom