Gecko Swirl Cigar...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from twoofakind

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoofakind

man this stuff is a bear to turn. I had to glue pieces back on this blank three times. The first blank split while drilling. Where there is a black line it came apart. It seems as though the black material did not get proper adhesion in the cast. This thing is bright, it glows like day glow rods in the light. Has anyone else tried turning this material? I bought it in the group buy from woodpenpro.
Andy

200718134434_0417.jpg

200718134457_0419.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Originally posted by jjenk02
<br />I got some of the same blanks, but have not turned any yet.

Ditto, but I like the way it looks. I have a friend that is going to kill to my pen, when I turn it, if it looks anywhere near as good as yours.

johnnycnc

I got some of those blanks,also;
have drilled 2 and they both split just as you describe.
I have not turned them yet,but it looks like you made it![:)]
Great looking pen!

twoofakind

This one made it to the lathe, but I had to glue pieces back on. I used a radius skew that I had just finished honing and it still broke. It broke cleanly so it went back togther well.
Andy

twoofakind

I have added a light behind my lathe so I can see any flaws while I am sanding. This blank looked as though it was glowing. It reminds me of the little round day-glo pieces used in shotgun sights.
Andy

Pikebite

I had one of these green blanks and it also cracked when I drilled it[V]. It split right down the black line. It was pretty easy to reglue it with CA and clamp it back together. Put it together with a black Ti Gent Jr II and it was the first pen I sold the next day[:D]. The girl who bought it said she could see it across the room.[8D]

twoofakind

I went to Wally World and bought the brightest green nail polish I could find. I was afraid not to paint them. When I drilled the blank it was very translucent, just for giggles I put my led light in the drilled hole and wow that thing glowed.
Andy

Mikey

I just drilled a Geck blank for a Cigar pen I wanted to test out. I had no problems at all and the drill went through very easy. You guys had me worried. I went about 1/8" at a time and wet the bit down as I drilled. i do this with all resins and so far, this method has been good to me.

twoofakind

The first one blew out while drilling. It had the most black swirl in it. This blank made it through drilling fine. When I was making my roughing cuts it came apart the first time. The good thing is it split on the black line so glueing it back together was easy. I did notice that the black material was shiny. I was thinking that the resin could not bond well with it so I scuffed it up with sandpaper before CA'ing it back together. Good luck with yours. Everyone who has seen it loves it.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom