gearing up for this weekend...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lwalden

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwalden

We've got a booth at the Trophy Club Fall Festival- only runs from 3:00 to 6:00 this Saturday. Working to augment my current inventory- posted one of these (the Cactus) yesterday. Last night and tonights work:
2006101931758_1004975a.jpg

The next 2 pics are of a Jr Gent in Juniper- some of Dario's recent found wood:D
2006101931857_1004976a.jpg

2006101931925_1004977a.jpg

Sierra in BOW- fantastic marbeling, got this blank from Kaspar
2006101932044_1004979a.jpg

2006101932149_100B4991a.jpg

And then my first time experimenting with TruStone- a Lapis Statesman (Man, that stuffs HARD</u> to turn!!
2006101932311_1005000a.jpg

2006101932326_1005001a.jpg

Wish us luck at the show!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

These look great Lyle! I'm glad to see the Star of David pen sitting there.[;)]

Be sure and let me know how this goes when it's over.

Dario

Lyle,

All look wonderful...then again I saw your selection and they consistently are all good. [^]

Ditto to what Skye said.

Okay I have to try some of the juniper myself now.

lwalden

Actually, that was the short blank you threw in with the others... All of the full size prime blanks I got from you are earmarked for Jr Statesman or higher kits[:D].
Originally posted by Kaspar
<br />Some of those blanks look familiar. Were you able to get two sierras out of one?

Jerryconn

Man! They are all awesome!! what is the finish on the wood pens?
Beautiful job on all! I really want to try some of that trustone love the finished product!

lwalden

Thanks for the compliment. Finish on all the wood pens is Deft Lacquer. I think it was Russ Fairfield that posted information on his technique for lacquer dipping. I'm still working on my CA finish (I've botched Fangar's instructions several times, now). I've set up to be able to dip up to 24 halves (individual barrels) in sequence, so when I'm doing a production run (normally 20 to 50 pens), my average time for lacquer dip finishing, (1st coat, buff, 2nd coat, buff if needed, 3rd coat, and micromesh) is under 2 minutes per pen.
Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />Man! They are all awesome!! what is the finish on the wood pens?
Beautiful job on all! I really want to try some of that trustone love the finished product!

TBone

Originally posted by lwalden
<br />I've set up to be able to dip up to 24 halves (individual barrels) in sequence, so when I'm doing a production run (normally 20 to 50 pens), my average time for lacquer dip finishing, (1st coat, buff, 2nd coat, buff if needed, 3rd coat, and micromesh) is under 2 minutes per pen.
WOW I knew lacquer dried quick but didn't realize it was that quick. What do you use to keep the lacquer from building up on the ends of the blanks as they dry? Thanks

lwalden

That's spread out over several days. I've got two pieces of plywood, roughly 2' X 2', each with 50 3" screws driven through from the bottom. I've got 25 pieces of 8" allthread terminating in a small wood block, with an Eyescrew on the other side. Row of 25 cuphooks mounted to the underside of one of my upper set of cabinets. I've got the lacquer thinned with between 25% to 30% lacquer thinner, so it flows a little smoother, drys quicker, and builds up a thinner coat each time. Load the barrel, with bushings still in place, on the allthread and it's ready for a quick dip. Hangs from the cuphook for 45 minutes. Cured enough at that point to be moved to the plywood. 6 to 8 hours later, light buff and back on the allthread, rotated 180 degrees, for second dip. Rotate to the plywood holder again after 45 minutes, if smooth enough to not need second buff, dip again after 4 hours (rotated 180 degrees again), wait at least 8 hours, quick micromesh from 3200 through 12000, and ready to assemble. A picture of 50 Irish Bog Oak uppers for Barons, curing on the plywood base, is in my photo album if you're interested. In between dippings, keep on Cutting, drilling, gluing, and turning! Spreads it out over a two to three day process, but still nets out to just under 2 minutes per pen spent on the finishing part. Also helps that I've got 20 to 25 sets of bushings for the most frequent pens I do- Barons, Cigars, Sierras, and Jr. Gent/Statesman vII's.
Originally posted by TBone
<br />
Originally posted by lwalden
<br />I've set up to be able to dip up to 24 halves (individual barrels) in sequence, so when I'm doing a production run (normally 20 to 50 pens), my average time for lacquer dip finishing, (1st coat, buff, 2nd coat, buff if needed, 3rd coat, and micromesh) is under 2 minutes per pen.
WOW I knew lacquer dried quick but didn't realize it was that quick. What do you use to keep the lacquer from building up on the ends of the blanks as they dry? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom