Gave up on contests, but here ya go...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rkm6460

rkm6460

Cranked out a couple of cigar pens this morning...turned out pretty nice.

DSC05150_400w.JPG

DSC05151_400w.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

....I do not like the Cigar kits! I did enter one in the contest but yet, I do not like them. Yours look great! Nice fit~N~ Finish! Did I mention I don't like em'? Be well......Jan

D.Oliver

Those look great! It's too bad you gave up on the contest. Let me ask you this, because I've been thinking about it, what if instead of having a contest with you competing against other pen turners and people voting on pens, if instead I make it more of a challenge where there isn't any voting, and no prizes. You just make a pen and post it and we admire and discuss each others pens?

Joe S.

Those look great! It's too bad you gave up on the contest. Let me ask you this, because I've been thinking about it, what if instead of having a contest with you competing against other pen turners and people voting on pens, if instead I make it more of a challenge where there isn't any voting, and no prizes. You just make a pen and post it and we admire and discuss each others pens?

Or you could make a pen, maybe even following a theme, and send it to your newest friend on the IAP! Maybe that person could send you a pen with the same theme, and then everyone posts pictures of their new pens from their new friends! That sounds like so much fun! :biggrin:

rkm6460

I think the contests are fine, but having entered several without success I just decided I wasn't going to enter any more. I realize I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but sometimes the ones that win as a result of voting just make me scratch my head a bit.

It's all good. The contest made me remember I had some cigar kits waiting on me, and I forced myself to do some acrylics, lol! Thanks for the compliments, though...I appreciate the feedback!

kingkeyman

Please don't stop the contests. Eventually I want to participate. I'm just not to that level yet.

seamus7227

I really dont understand why you would give up on a contest, you really might be surprised what some people voting might like. Personally, Im not a fan of the cigar pens either, but looking at the two you just posted, looks pretty good! I dont see the brass tube showing through the blank which to me is a big turnoff. And.....you matched the components nicely with the blanks as well! Fit and finish G.T.G.!! Next time you should reconsider entering. More times than not, I vote based on simple issues, and you would be surprised how many really good penturners I've seen that tend to overlook those simple things and i wont vote for it because its not paying close attention to detail. Just my humble opinion, not that it matters.

rkm6460

I really dont understand why you would give up on a contest, you really might be surprised what some people voting might like. Personally, Im not a fan of the cigar pens either, but looking at the two you just posted, looks pretty good! I dont see the brass tube showing through the blank which to me is a big turnoff. And.....you matched the components nicely with the blanks as well! Fit and finish G.T.G.!! Next time you should reconsider entering. More times than not, I vote based on simple issues, and you would be surprised how many really good penturners I've seen that tend to overlook those simple things and i wont vote for it because its not paying close attention to detail. Just my humble opinion, not that it matters.

Appreciate the feedback, Seamus! Tubes got a coat of spray paint in the base color before gluing in...sure makes a difference. Acrylics/PR are definitely not my favorite thing to turn, but these turned out well and will hopefully sell. Personally, I really like the weight and feel of the cigar pens...just can't stand carrying one in a shirt pocket!

I like cigar pens. I think it is the best of the beginner hardware. They use a parker style refill and have pretty thick wood or whatever other material that you turn. They are plenty big enough to show off beautiful grain structure and are also an excellent base to try your hand at segmenting. I don't turn many of them anymore but they are an excellent tool to learn on. They can also fetch pretty good prices for beginner sellers. These turned out great..

D.Oliver

Or you could make a pen, maybe even following a theme, and send it to your newest friend on the IAP! Maybe that person could send you a pen with the same theme, and then everyone posts pictures of their new pens from their new friends! That sounds like so much fun! :biggrin:

I going to give this a solid 8 on the shameless promotion scale. You quoted a previous post, had a great segway. Enertainment value was high. IF you would have throwed a hot link or two in there I would have given a 9.5!

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Very nice pens. Thanks for sharing them.

Being relatively new to this forum, I entered several of the contests. I am not expecting to win anything and entered for differing reasons. To challenge myself, to try something new, just happened to complete a pen that meets the requirements of a particular contest, and just to see if any of my stuff sticks when thrown against the wall. I can certainly understand the been there done that thought process and will probably get there myself one day.

As for liking cigar pens, I did not like them before doing one for the contest but now like them.

Joe S.

I mostly use the IAP on my phone, and I don't have the syntax for links memorized yet. The shameless promoting is just getting started, I'm holding back until the contest voting is over. :biggrin:

Joe S.

Nice pens by the way, I'm not actually trying to turn this into a shameless promotion thread. Just slipping in a plug or two. :biggrin:

Fay Prozora

I'm not at that level either and no one seems to be interested in my pens any more that is my opinion of things like contests and the like. you pen is absolutely beautiful. I'm getting ready to post my Carabean Cove pen that I just finished... Fay

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I sold a whole lot of pens.

Probably a thousand or more cigars. That kit is "solid". RARELY did a transmission need to be replaced. The cap screws in, so loose clips were "user" repairs. Using Tigold or chrome--no plating problems.

Yes, it is heavy and you have to educate the buyer to the benefits of bigger pens. BUT, they often return a year later to say thanks and buy a few for their friends.

One of my favorite answers to "what is YOUR most popular pen?" is "the one I like!!"

Russ, the two you made would not have lasted long in my booth!! NICE!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom