Gave an Atarax a try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick P

Rick P

I like the clean lines of this one.......this blank on a fancy kit would have been way to busy. One of my Reclaimed birch burl blanks.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Thanks! It's a very small bark inclusion but this burl is full of "eyes"...........I have a similar blank with tons of inclusions in it, just waiting for it to warm up enough to cast outside so I can stabilize it a bit before turning.

Last edited:

WWAtty

Very nice! The simplicity of the hardware lets the wood do the talking.

Rick P

Marc I have to say this is the best new kit I have seen in my short time as a pen turner for exactly the reason WWAtty pointed out. Its also one of the more solidly constructed kits.

Thanks Bob, this is definitely a kit I would recommend to anyone.

Rick P

Its the same bushing set as the Jr Gent and Triton......actually there are several kits that fit this bushing set.

I have never taken a micrometer to my work but the library has a really good bushing chart. Here is a link to the chart. http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/bushingsandtubes.pdf

Looks like it should be .567-.567-.512-.480 But like I said I turn off the bushings.

Wayne isnt this your chart?......LOL sorry man I just think it's funny that I linked back to your own chart! I did not get the instruction sheet with mine so I am not sure what the real stats should be?

Last edited:

Rick P

While I am at it though I would like to thank you for all the hard work you put into this information!!!!!! OUSTANDING sir! And I am sure it was not an easy task.......

While I havent taken a micrometer to my own work your chart was amazingly helpful when my little bushing file dropped to the shop floor!

Last edited:

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Thanks Rick, this kind of encouragement drives me to fill a void that may penturners seem to need. Although most of this information can be found by scouring the instructions and web sites, I seem to like organizing information in one place. Hope it helps many others!

Rick P

Nice work, nice wood. As far as the kit, I don't like the big chunk of silver at the end. Would probably make a very nice closed end kit.

That or postable would be good options! Nice thing about pens is no one said you HAVE to stay in the box........my kidnergarden teacher tore her hair out tryin to get me to "stay between the lines":biggrin:

Nice pen Rick. I too think the Atrax is a great kit for showing off the blank. Fit and finish look good.
Side note, I think it would be nice if we could find kits that used longer blanks and had shorter caps on the end. One day when I try make my own hardware set that is the direction I'll go in.

Rick P

Busy time of the year but keep watching that is exactly the direction I am taking my work as well. In fact this week I turned my last 3 kit pens......unless I get an order for one.

Dustygoose

I think it would be nice if we could find kits that used longer blanks and had shorter caps on the end.

Look at the Orion from woodturningz. Very long body and just a finial cap.
I am not affiliated with them. Just a customer

Top Bottom