Gator,turquoise,copper and black

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Took a little time today to do this one. A gator jaw filled with turquoise,copper and black PR. Put it on a Majestic Jr. and changed the
crystal to black.All the same pen.
Showing different views.:wink:
As always all comment welcome, thanks for looking.
IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2498-1.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Pretty cool pen there. Been a while since I have seen someone post one of those. I think you did a good job matching things up and using the black for the clip chip replacement.

IPD_Mr

Very regal looking. Sure hope you ran up and gave Dee a big hug and kiss when you finished turning this. :biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Very regal looking. Sure hope you ran up and gave Dee a big hug and kiss when you finished turning this. :biggrin:
Sure did.......right after dumping my clothes in the washer taking a hot shower, washing my hair 3 times and using my best deodorant:biggrin::wink:.

PenMan1

Only thing missing from this one is an alligator skin pouch and a great "Dundee" story for willing listeners at the next exhibit. Excellent execution, as always.

PenMan1

Hey, Roy! Ever thought about filling the voids with lead or steel shot and short rope strands? It wouldn't look nearly as good, but the sales pitch could be monumental!

"Gator Roy" has kinda a nice ring to it, but it might take a good hat with the "right hatband" and a slight limp to sell the concept:)

Last edited:

firewhatfire

The fact that some of ya'll can bring concept to reality in some of your work is amazing. Who would have ever thought about using gator jaw for a pen.

Phil

OKLAHOMAN

Hey, Roy! Ever thought about filling the voids with lead or steel shot and short rope strands? It wouldn't look nearly as good, but the sales pitch could be monumental!

"Gator Roy" has kinda a nice ring to it, but it might take a good hat with the "right hatband" and a slight limp to sell the concept:)

Thanks all for your comments, I really like selling Gator but turning not so much until I see the finished product, each one is different and unique.
Andy, Gator Roy doesn't sound Italian enough but Gator Dundeano:rolleyes::wink:.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Smelly?

Roy: Sounds like you are saying "my pen stinks". Looks D***** good. I haven't had the nerve to turn the one, yet, you filled for me. You know attached garage/shop that a car won't fit in. That's attached like to my wifes t.v. room. It's getting warm now, though, and I have a large door two feet from the lathe. I expect to have a picture of the gator 'fore long. You give a person a lot to shoot for!!!!!:highfive:
Sure did.......right after dumping my clothes in the washer taking a hot shower, washing my hair 3 times and using my best deodorant:biggrin::wink:.

GregHight

That looks great! I have been contemplating a little experimentation with resin and gator bone but just haven't had time.

You are definately right about how the smell will linger on your clothes and hair after working the jawbone. I have a coating of that dust all over my shop and it gets into the AC and kinda ferments in there causing a blast of ammonia when the AC first comes on. I definately need to work on better dust collection and air filtration!

wizard

Roy, As usual, Gorgeous Pen !! Now that I have some gator bone:wink:, I am just waiting for my Haz-Mat suit to arrive with an independent air supply...:biggrin:. Thank you for showing! Regards, Doc

MorganGrafixx

**in my best corcodile Dundee voice** "That's not a pen......THAT'S a pen!" :biggrin:

Very nice man! Would love to try turning some of that. Everyone says they need suits, and full helmet masks with independent air supply. But honestly, how much worse can it be than antler?

OKLAHOMAN

**in my best corcodile Dundee voice** "That's not a pen......THAT'S a pen!" :biggrin:Thanks

Very nice man! Would love to try turning some of that. Everyone says they need suits, and full helmet masks with independent air supply. But honestly, how much worse can it be than antler?
Much worse:eek:

MorganGrafixx

**in my best corcodile Dundee voice** "That's not a pen......THAT'S a pen!" :biggrin:Thanks

Even if you consider that I grind the antler down on my bench grinder to take the curve out of them? Burning antler dust is one of the most God awful smells I can ever recall.

OKLAHOMAN

Even if you consider that I grind the antler down on my bench grinder to take the curve out of them? Burning antler dust is one of the most God awful smells I can ever recall.

I don't touch them with a carbide chisel until they are 1/8 in shy of the bushings and use my 80 grit chisel to bring them that close, creating nothing but gator dust with a fan behind me and the dust collector on and it still stinks, but I've never smelled burning antler....and don't think I want to:biggrin:.

PenMan1

A friend told me that gator jaw smells WORSE than Giraffe bone. GB is an 11 on the "stinkometer". Antler, 'bout an "8". I can't imagine worse than Giraffe. That would take a whole new "stinkometer"!

OKLAHOMAN

Andy have turned and cut a few Giraffe bones for pens and if you say the're an 11 on the stingometer then gator is a 15 ( and stinkometers only go up to 12) when cutting and a high 13 when turning with a dustcollector and fan.

Top Bottom