Gator & Lapis Jr Retro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Justturnin

Justturnin

Here is another pen I made for a friends sisters benefit. It is Gator Jaw from Roger (qballizere) with Afgan Lapis that I got from Dave (DestinTurnings) while he was on duty in Afghanistan. It has a CA Finish to fill the voids in the bone. Took a lot of CA to smooth it all out. Kit is a Rhodium & 24k Jr Retro from "Lau Lau Woodworks". I was going to pop the finial off but didnt want to leave just a single band of gold in the cap so I left it.

This pen was a bear but I am please w/ it. I told my wife if it does no bring in what I would sell it for I would buy it back for that price......I left out what I thought it was worth:rolleyes:

C&C requested on the Pen and Photos please.

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Very nice and quite a looker!

If you were going to leave the centerband as is, I am with Keith, it was a good choice. That said, you can remove the gold and chrome ring from a retro. I find this easiest to do with a carbide tool or a parting tool. Chuck the centerband (minus the plastic part) into a collet chuck and turn off the extra silver band. The gold band is loose so it slides off no problem.

Justturnin

that's a beauty!

Thanks

All I can say is - wow - great job on that pen! And I think a wise choice on the finial!

I appreciate that.

Very nice and quite a looker!

If you were going to leave the centerband as is, I am with Keith, it was a good choice. That said, you can remove the gold and chrome ring from a retro. I find this easiest to do with a carbide tool or a parting tool. Chuck the centerband (minus the plastic part) into a collet chuck and turn off the extra silver band. The gold band is loose so it slides off no problem.

Thank you very much. Great info. I would not have gone that far as me slicing through it all would have been a disaster......

I like this one a lot. I have seen many jaw bones on here nut this one is the cleanest looking one I have seen. + its on a Retro! from LauLau!

Thanks. You are the one that got me liking these kits. I ordered one of each. I have one left and will be ordering more soon.

vanngo5d

Chris that's a great looking pen, like how dark and deep the blue is.
Is this the same one you had Saturday. Because it looks even better in person.
Don Vann

Of course you know I love it! That lapis can be rough on tools but the end result is one of the reasons I keep using it. Great pen turned perfectly...especially considering the difficult materials used.

BSea

Wow!! That is one nice gator pen. Normally, I'm not a fan of the gold dome on this kit (although, I really like the jr retro in every other way). But the bone has enough gold color in it, that it blends nicely. though It would be interesting to see a gator and/or lapis cap finial.:rolleyes:

Justturnin

Chris - Excellent Pen ! Making me rethink the jawbone !
Scott

Thanks Scott, I would really rethink it. I hate turning it though but the pens are by far my personal favorites each time. I need to go make another so I am not so attached to this one before the auction.

Chris that's a great looking pen, like how dark and deep the blue is.
Is this the same one you had Saturday. Because it looks even better in person.
Don Vann

Yes it is the same one. I still stink at pics. Trying to bring out other whites makes the bone more yellow that it is in some pics and I have NOOOO idea how to fix that w/ my free software.

I have a gator blank, hope it comes oout half as nice as yours!!! exceptional!!

Thanks Glenn, sharp tools brother. I use carbide and it wears it out. This pen took 1.5 cutters out, that's 6 edges so you can expect to sharpen often if using HSS or rotate often if using carbide.

Of course you know I love it! That lapis can be rough on tools but the end result is one of the reasons I keep using it. Great pen turned perfectly...especially considering the difficult materials used.

The Lapis is amazing. To be honest I am not sure what put more wear on my cutters, the Lapis or the Jaw Bone. Which ever it is the combo made it like turning sand and rounded the edges of my carbide. Much like you though, I will do it again over and over and never think twice about it.

All this talking makes me remember I need to order some more cutters.:beat-up:

Justturnin

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I really enjoyed making this pen as difficult as it was. It was really in my heart to make this my personal best for our friend and I feel I did that for her.

longbeard

Great lookin combo
i have 1 retro left, and have been lookin at the voodoo violet gato jaw bone from exoticblanks for that one. That blue against the bone looks awesome. Great job

Harry

tkbarron

Nice job Chris! Beautiful color.

I have one packed with malachite that is about 3/4 turned and I've tinkered with it three times over the past few months. It's hard work but the payoff is big!

Tom

Top Bottom