Gator, Gold fill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

I can't say that I did this Gator blank justice. This is my first time turning something like this and aside from the smell it wasn't that bad. The bone marrow was picked out with a razor and then the voids were packed with Gold Pearl-ex. During the turn I found a void in the lower barrel so I turned it down and added a brass accent and black PR band. I did this for the top as well to pull it together. These blanks look awesome when done correctly...I have more work to do:rolleyes:

Enjoy

6415508091_9504dfff7a_z.jpg

Larger images can be seen in my IAP Gallery or on my Flickr site, both linked below. Enjoy!

SDB777

When you say you have more work to do, your meaning making another right? Cause this instrument is a top-of-the-line piece!

I need a new adjective to describe this one, cause the normal words won't do!

Scott (A+ turning) B

wiset1

When you say you have more work to do, your meaning making another right? Cause this instrument is a top-of-the-line piece!

I need a new adjective to describe this one, cause the normal words won't do!

Scott (A+ turning) B

I've seen others on the site that are just screaming off the screen...I just feel that I'll have to make a couple more to find that perfect one. I love the blank, I just think I could have done better with it.:cool:

wiset1

Thanks Roy...I just feel like I need a couople more to work on. I think deep down I like the idea of working with this as a material so I'm pushing past the smell and wanting more, ha ha ha. Thanks

wiset1

I'm sure you would, ha ha ha. It will end up going in a box and packed away with the rest of my pens. It's a shame really. The wife is on me to sell them, but really...I'm just doing it for fun and the idea of asking someone to pay for it...well. It's fun until it becomes work!

Drstrangefart

If you ain't in need of cash, hanging on to them isn't too insane. But, once that first sale hits, you'll be chasing more pretty hard for a while. And your pens would definitely SELL in the right stores.

wiset1

I sold a couple when I first started for a couple hundred each and it felt good, but I really didn't want to waste my time pushing pens for sales. I really like making stuff with my hands. I'm donating two for an auction in GA for a lady who works with kids that have diabetes. I like doing stuff like that...the sale, well...it's nice, but doesn't give me the same warm fuzzy. I may bend and please the wife and let her sell them.

OKLAHOMAN

After doing 35-40 of these I found the secret of getting past the smell................stop breathing:wink:...
Thanks Roy...I just feel like I need a couople more to work on. I think deep down I like the idea of working with this as a material so I'm pushing past the smell and wanting more, ha ha ha. Thanks

After doing 35-40 of these I found the secret of getting past the smell................stop breathing:wink:...

Have you tried nose plugs?

wiset1

I don't do enough of these, but it was pushing past the resperator I wear. Some foul smelling stuff, but fun to work with.

U-Turn

Tim,
I have some Gator jaw bone coming. Is there anything special about turning the material - I do a lot of antler - is it anything like that?

wiset1

Fantastic looking piece I love the gold. Did you mix the mica with epoxy or ca to fill the voids? Again a really nice job!

Packed the voids with Pearl-ex then poured thin CA over it. Wasn't sure myself, so I gave it a try and it worked.

wiset1

Tim,
I have some Gator jaw bone coming. Is there anything special about turning the material - I do a lot of antler - is it anything like that?

Never worked with antler, but I hear the smell is the same. With this stuff I made sure to keep my tools sharp since there was marrow and voids. As you know this could lead to a cracked blank if you're too agressive. Take your time, round the blank on the sander first if you can then work the skew lightly to get your shape. I made sure to cover with thin CA as I turned the blank down to add strength. Hope that helps

U-Turn

Thanks

Appreciate your input - anxious to try some when it gets here. I agree that antler turning is a shock to the nose!!!!!:eek:

Brooks803

Very nice Tim! Your segments are always so crisp! I've got some jaw bone that I think I'm gonna have to pull out and work on now. Your's is beautiful! I love the colors.

warthog

That pen is an awesome peice. Those gator jaw bones really turn into something really good looking. Anyone would be proud to have one of them.

Justturnin

Ohhh WOW!!!!!! That looks great. If you are not happy w/ this one I cant wait to see the one you are happy about. I have 4 jaws heading my way and I hope my best is this good. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Justturnin

Wear a respirator and hang some Pine Tree car inscense over the cartriges.:biggrin::biggrin:

Knowing this has taken some of the excitement out of my order for some Gator Jaw.

Gilrock

Wow...now that's a nice looking pen!

I can't believe all the colors that came out in that. Are the gray / blue-ish areas part of the bone? I've worked with Elk antler and my wife says it smells like someones tooth being drilled at the dentist.

Gil

wiset1

Wow...now that's a nice looking pen!

I can't believe all the colors that came out in that. Are the gray / blue-ish areas part of the bone? I've worked with Elk antler and my wife says it smells like someones tooth being drilled at the dentist.

Gil

Those are part of the resin fill that resulted as part of the casting. It should be noted that I did NOT cast this blank, I just turned it, used Pearl-ex, and did some segmenting.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Rick P

Tim
You have a fine gator open and judging from your flickr site and what I have seen here there is no reason for you to feel anything but pride at point of sale. Honestly you have a far better body of work than I do.

wiset1

David, get with Roy, he'll be able to let you know when he has more on his site. Top quality blanks!

Last edited:

wiset1

Tim
You have a fine gator open and judging from your flickr site and what I have seen here there is no reason for you to feel anything but pride at point of sale. Honestly you have a far better body of work than I do.

Thanks Rick! I do my best to be well rounded, but the truth is I just hate sitting around watching tv so I do other things to stay busy. It drives my wife crazy.

Texatdurango

While the blank itself is very nice, I'm not a fan of the "Oops" bands since I've never seen a pen where the bands look as if they were a deliberate part of the overall pen design.

wiset1

While the blank itself is very nice, I'm not a fan of the "Oops" bands since I've never seen a pen where the bands look as if they were a deliberate part of the overall pen design.

George, I can't please everyone:rolleyes: It was either go for the segmented band look or toss out a $50 gator blank...I opted to keep the blank. Someone will want it.

Rick P

Tim

Thanks Rick! I do my best to be well rounded, but the truth is I just hate sitting around watching tv so I do other things to stay busy. It drives my wife crazy.

You and I would get along well! We both are our own worst critic and cant sit for long. I know it seems I am in front of the computer all day.......yes it is often on and I post a lot, but I am hardly sitting in front of it! I really enjoyed your other work on the flickr site as well! You have an excellent eye and great sence of composition. Love your use of color! Especially the print of a bull, ya can feel the menace and tension.

Last edited:

wiset1

Too funny! I've got to do that one of these years. I'll have to look up the rules and how to put my name in the hat.

Top Bottom