Gator Crazy - Lot's of Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tkbarron

tkbarron

Hey All,

It's been a crazy busy summer and family life has forever changed since my father-in-law suffered a major stroke in late May. What free time I've had has been spent casting for Exotic Blanks.

I did manage to squeeze in a few turns and would like to share them with you. Not all are pens but they are all most certainly gator.

First the pens.

I have an Electra rollerball matched with a new Black Magic blank. This is the same blank Ed is using for his new video series. It's become my new carry pen.

Next are a pair of bolt action gators. One dressed in Mangrove Red and the other in Turquoise Blues. The red pen was turned a few weeks ago at the Dallas area pen turners meeting. Thanks to all who attended for letting me share.

The last pen is a Triton rollerball featuring a Cajun Gator Geauxld blank. I packed the tooth holes with gold metal flake and then cast the bone in Alumilite resin mixed with more of the gold flake.

Now on to the other stuff.

First, I have a shaving brush turned from a Biloxi Blues stopper blank. I was really pleased with this piece since it was my first attempt at turning a brush.

Next are a pair of bottle stoppers, one using a Mangrove Red blank and the other Biloxi Blues. These were finish on my 3 wheel buffer for an extraordinary shine.

Last but not least is my first attempt at making a knife. I came up with this concept several months ago but haven't had the nerve to try one myself. I cast the knife scales using Alumilite in Mangrove Red color, mixed with some metal flake. It's a 6" skinner (2 1/4" blade) that also includes brass pins and black G-10 liners. This was a dream to make though like any new attempt is was quite unnerving. Remember to always tape your blade when grinding and buffing! I'm pretty happy with the result, however I may take it back to the grinder to shave some thickness from the handle.

All comments and criticisms are welcome!!

Thanks,

Tom

PS - Check out this YouTube video. It's from an early July trip my son and I took to the Louisiana Bayou. And no, that isn't a nervous chuckle on my part! Zam's Gator Surprise - YouTube

Attachments

• Black Magic Electra.jpg
    Black Magic Electra.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Mangrove Red Bolt Action.jpg
    Mangrove Red Bolt Action.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Turquoise Blues Bolt Action.jpg
    Turquoise Blues Bolt Action.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Cajun Gator Geauxld.jpg
    Cajun Gator Geauxld.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Gator Shaving Brush.jpg
    Gator Shaving Brush.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Red Gator Stopper.jpg
    Red Gator Stopper.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Blue Gator Stopper.jpg
    Blue Gator Stopper.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Red Gator Skinner - View 1.jpg
    Red Gator Skinner - View 1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Red Gator Skinner - View 2.jpg
    Red Gator Skinner - View 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 202
  • Red Gator Skinner - View 3.jpg
    Red Gator Skinner - View 3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Red Gator Skinner - View 4.jpg
    Red Gator Skinner - View 4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

Thanks guys. The knife was a real trip to make. It was so much different than turning a pen but almost as fun.

Some gator scales were sent to Chris Williams several months ago. He's a professional knifemaker in South Carolina who has won several awards for his work. He turned out this piece which blows my little knife away.

Alligator Jawbone | Facebook

Tom

longbeard

WOW!
Very nice Tom, i have a mangrove blank that i should be able to turn this evening, looks great on the BA pen, i'm thinking about putting mine on a chrome atrax RB or FP.

tkbarron

I used CA to seal the stoppers but instead of wet sanding with MM I used a 3 wheel buffer to finish. I think this may be my new favorite method for finishing gator pens as well. For me, the buffing option just added that much gloss to the jawbone. It blends the finish of the bone and resin better, IMHO.

The knife has no CA on it at all and yet it took an amazing shine with the buffer. How long the shine will hold up is yet to be determined. If I decide to thin the handle on the grinder then I will probably give the bone a good soaking in thin CA before final sanding and buffing. That should leave it stronger with an even better seal and finish.

Tom

tkbarron

WOW!
Very nice Tom, i have a mangrove blank that i should be able to turn this evening, looks great on the BA pen, i'm thinking about putting mine on a chrome atrax RB or FP.

I like the Atrax kit but wish it came with a GM option. That would also look really nice paired with the red gator. I used GM for the red BA and chrome for the blue one.

Please post your pen when you finish it. I'd love to see it!

Thanks,

Tom

toyotaman

Great looking pens and stoppers. I'm looking for some nice gator jaws myself for some nice pens. Where is a good place to find them?

JohnU

Beautiful work Tom. I love the gator blanks and just got in about six of them to make for the family. Sorry to hear about your father in law. I hope things are getting better for you and the family.

tkbarron

Beautiful work Tom. I love the gator blanks and just got in about six of them to make for the family. Sorry to hear about your father in law. I hope things are getting better for you and the family.

Thanks John! You know how every family has that one guy (or gal) that everybody loves, respects and admires? He's that guy. As he likes to say, "It sucks to get old".

Tom

Top Bottom