Gatling Bolt Action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ashaw

rd_ab_penman

So this is where PSI got there idea for the Gatling Gun pen?
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/9mm-gatling-gun-pen-82868/

Les

the problem is allen named the pen wrong..it is based off of the steampunk theme...not the Gatling gun...

Sorry I have not been able to keep up with this post. Got out of the hospital yesterday. Nappy is correct this was an original idea the only source of design was form the original Gatling gun.

Ookk.......Whos telling the truth................

So the source of the design was from Jeff's original Gatling Gun.

Les

it played a part..in the idea...

You say Jeff's 2011 Gatling Gun played a part in your design and pen name, so would it not be honest and or ethical to at least acknowledge and give credit that Jeff's design gave you the idea and change the name of your design?

Les

i really don't understand your question....it did not play any part in the name..the name of the pen is "The Steampunk" not "Gatling"...the theme of the pen was steampunk from the start...the gatling gun is just one element of the pen...where would you like us to acknowledge it...? to what extent..

Then why dose the OP subject say Gatling Bolt Action?

Les

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Les... This all is probably a done deal. If it is on the next cover, good chance they already have a design patent. If so, then NO acknowledgement is possible, or they would be admitting to a false application! If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

And while you they can't patent "Steampunk" as "Their" concept, there are elements that also look like Si90's work, and possibly the Gisi's. I'll have double check on that, but a few weeks back I thought I saw some of their work.

The real thing that I have a problem with is that the work for the "original" concepts had to take months and months, and reflected great levels of quality. Now we will have a mass-produced kit/components/thingies...that simply will not reproduce the original quality - as well as Alan's quality I suspect. Thus, when folks buy the PSI product and it lives up to "PSI quality" (which in many cases I am very fine with BTW), the "High Quality" work of the originals will be possibly diminished in buyers' perceptions.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

nappy155

So this is where PSI got there idea for the Gatling Gun pen?

Les

the problem is allen named the pen wrong..it is based off of the steampunk theme...not the Gatling gun...

Sorry I have not been able to keep up with this post. Got out of the hospital yesterday. Nappy is correct this was an original idea the only source of design was form the original Gatling gun.

Ookk.......Whos telling the truth................

So the source of the design was from Jeff's original Gatling Gun.

Les

it played a part..in the idea...

You say Jeff's 2011 Gatling Gun played a part in your design and pen name, so would it not be honest and or ethical to at least acknowledge and give credit that Jeff's design gave you the idea and change the name of your design?

Les

i really don't understand your question....it did not play any part in the name..the name of the pen is "The Steampunk" not "Gatling"...the theme of the pen was steampunk from the start...the gatling gun is just one element of the pen...where would you like us to acknowledge it...? to what extent..

Then why dose the OP subject say Gatling Bolt Action?

Les

because allen to it upon himself to name it that way...it was never aimed to be a gatling gun, allen got it wrong...the name of the pen is steampunk...

nappy155

all three finishes

these are production samples....

Attachments

• PKSPPA.jpg
    PKSPPA.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 166
  • PKSPPB.jpg
    PKSPPB.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 149
  • PKSPPC.jpg
    PKSPPC.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 150

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I can't deny that I like the pen, I do, it's pretty cool whether the idea was original or cribbed from Jeff's or not. I guess it has some similarities. That's for Jeff to argue.
It's not the first time we have seen a mass produced KIT that looks very similar to pens shown here...trust me I know. We also have many pens shown here from regular members, where it is obvious where they got their inspiration from but they say nothing.

What upsets me is that I had no idea until now that either Ashaw and Diaper (or Nappy or Dope or whatever his name is..) were / are affiliated with any vendor.
I reckon that such people should make it quite clear in their signatures who they are. We shouldn't have to check out their profiles to find out.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not a lover of the commercialization of IAP but I appreciate that the bills have to be paid.

There are several member / vendors that I really like and one or two that I don't. I very rarely comment in any SOYP thread that advertises vendors.

Sorry guys, but you just changed camps ....

Last edited:

jondavidj

I would respectfully disagree with some of the discussion. I did not see in this post where a vendor was doing any advertising. Just because someone works for PSI, which I am sure employs many, Crafts Supplies, etc. Most are members on this forum, like us, because they enjoy the pen turning world and like to learn new ideas and offer insights.

I may be wrong, but I think, that this is probably a pen that has not been released yet and probably shouldn't have showed any pictures because it is in the upcoming catalog, which if the catalog is out, I have not seen.

When you show a product that hasn't been released, the naming is obviously different. Much like the iPhone, I am sure Apple would not want anyone releasing pictures, etc, until it is introduced by them first.

I have read all of the pages and I do not think Nappy misled anyone. I think he was doing his job. From my understanding, he is a designer with PSI, and if his product or project, or his companies' product or project, was released earlier, I think he would probably have the right to be upset or not wanting to comment on any details because it would take away from the catalog release. Personally, if I was him, I would have respectfully asked that this thread be taken down until the release.

But I do not think anyone from PSI misled or was not honest. This is my opinion and the way that I read this thread.

Just because he works for PSI, does that mean he should have a symbol by his name to identify himself? I don't think so, because if he is not advertising, why should he? He is on this site just like everyone else. Does Ed not turn pens? Does Roy not turn pens? or make them? So should anyone who sells kits or blanks not be able to post their work? If they want to remain anonymous, then why is that an issue?

Personally, I don't mind it if he was advertising, because I think that most of the businesses on here are top notch and very helpful. Hell, even American Express loves them? They remind me every month...:) They always go the extra mile for customers and customer service.

As far as it possibly looking like another pen, doesn't the European model the Mont Blanc? This is just one example I can think of, but I am sure there are others.

I just do not see anything wrong here and I certainly do not want to see anyone outcasted because they work for a vendor.

My opinion. sorry it was long.

Brooks803

I'm not going to jump all the way into this, but I think conclusions are being drawn without all the info.

Ashaw (Alan) doesn't work for PSI. I believe the arrangement for this pen was something along the lines of the Art Deco with David Broadwell.

Nappy155 (Stephen) does work for PSI.

nappy155

I started working at psi about five years ago as the senior designer/photographer... i had never heard of pen turning...I soon became interested in it when I started seeing what people were creating...I turned a pen and was hooked...those who know me on Facebook know that have moved to kit less pens...yes on Facebook I often give sneak peeks of pens we are working on...I've never done it on this forum....*

Also those who know me that they can count on me to help out with a problem from psi that they can't resolve, I will always step in to help,even though it is not my job....I joined this forum to learn more and see what people were creating...I even debated telling you peeps where I worked...I know psi has gotten a bad rep over the years....I can dig it..I urge the owner to pay attention to this forum for the good and the bad...

As far as the Pen...we have no less than 4 Pens in the works at all times...this one has been on the block for about 2 years...the theme has always been steampunk and gun was added to capitalize on the bolt action nich....Google steampunk Gatling...see what comes up...to suggest that we need to attribute our design to the pen in question is in a word crazy talk (2 words)

As far as the pic...yes I was pissed that Allen released it...he does not work for psi but he is cool with one of the owners...and was given a early sample....it is not the final production piece...

I hope that gives full disclosure about myself and the pen....-

nappy155

I'm not going to jump all the way into this, but I think conclusions are being drawn without all the info.

Ashaw (Alan) doesn't work for PSI. I believe the arrangement for this pen was something along the lines of the Art Deco with David Broadwell.

I'm not sure what you mean arrangement...David has worked with us in the past... But he had no input whatsoever on this pen....I love his work btw

Last edited:

nappy155

feel free to hit me up if you have any more questions....i want to make it perfectly clear who i am and what i'm here for...but if the majority of people think i should be off the forum..i will delete my account...

what pisses my off the most are the assumptions being made about me and the company...

if you need to know more search my FB page Steven Humphrey

Last edited:

Brooks803

I'm not sure what you mean arrangement...David has worked with us in the past... But he had no input whatsoever on this pen....I love his work btw

I wasn't saying David had any input on this pen. I was assuming there was a collaboration with Alan since he had a preproduction piece.

Timebandit

feel free to hit me up if you have any more questions....i want to make it perfectly clear who i am and what i'm here for...but if the majority of people think i should be off the forum..i will delete my account...

what pisses my off the most are the assumptions being made about me and the company...

Theres no reason for any of that, you have as much of a right to be here as anyone else.

I do need to clear something up though, so that i dont get included in your assumptions list. I stopped posting because you answered my question. I was trying to clear up inconsistencies between yours and Alans stories and your edited post, which most of the people posting in this thread didnt get to see. Alan says one thing, you say another, you post one thing and then edit it and say the complete opposite. Im sure you can see where one might be curious as to what is going on when something like that happens. I might have used the word dishonest a little loosely, but only because of the edited post about Les's question. I was only trying to get to the bottom of it and im sure that i wasnt the only one that was a little confused. You answered my question, so i left it at that. As to what anyone else says, i have no part in that. Just wanted to clear the air about my comments and intensions.

Justin

nappy155

Theres no reason for any of that, you have as much of a right to be here as anyone else.

I do need to clear something up though, so that i dont get included in your assumptions list. I stopped posting because you answered my question. I was trying to clear up inconsistencies between yours and Alans stories and your edited post, which most of the people posting in this thread didnt get to see. Alan says one thing, you say another, you post one thing and then edit it and say the complete opposite. Im sure you can see where one might be curious as to what is going on when something like that happens. I might have used the word dishonest a little loosely, but only because of the edited post about Les's question. I was only trying to get to the bottom of it and im sure that i wasnt the only one that was a little confused. You answered my question, so i left it at that. As to what anyone else says, i have no part in that. Just wanted to clear the air about my comments and intensions.

Justin

its cool...i am sorry about the edit...i should have just re-posted...but Allen does not work at psi...i never even heard of him until about a month or two ago...he could be right next to me and i wouldn't know it...he is however cool with one of the owners....

Timebandit

Justin

its cool...i am sorry about the edit...i should have just re-posted...but Allen does not work at psi...i never even heard of him until about a month or two ago...he could be right next to me and i wouldn't know it...he is however cool with one of the owners....

I understand. Either repost, or just put EDIT: BLAH BLAH BLAH at the bottom of your post. Thats what i do. I never delete anything. The main reason for this you just found put. Your edit would have been there at the bottom about your marketing guy, and i would have been on my way. It just threw up a red flag with 2 different stories and when you flip flopped. Thanks for clearing that up.

workinforwood

Ok, people are pm'ing me, please stop, theres no need. Obviously the idea came from a pen i built a few years ago. PSI liked the idea and picked it up from there. I am flattered they liked it and have taken it to a position where people that do not have the skill set to create their own can now still share in the idea. If PSI offered me a few kits, i would be appreciative and if not, i would still harbor no ill feelings or anger towards them. They are in business to make money, just like me, and honestly i feel really good seeing that they are making a production pen using a similar concept to mine that will live on for years to come and bring joy to many people around the globe. Thank you for showing your pen Mr Shaw, made my day!

tjseagrove

Hey, I would like to see more of you here and sneak peaks into what is up and coming.

mjrbuzz

this is my first post on this site, I think the kit will be amazing for me as a very green pen turner. (i have only made 2) but as soon as i am able to get one i will be all over this kit, I hope i do it justice to all the work from the origanl design to the people that work hard to make it avaible to people like me that just want to make really neat stuff.

Top Bottom