A Gary Peck Special

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

I know I'm wearing out the SOYP forum, but I'm trying to make some different pens for the newbie contest, and figure I might as well post them her as well.

So garypeck was nice enough to send me a couple of the kits he's been passing out, and here's what I did with the first one. I like the kit, and loved the challenge of it, but I'm not sure how I feel about what I did with it. The woods are Ebony, Ribbed Fruit Malle Burl, and Padauk. I've been playing around with the finial, but haven't landed on a design that works yet.

Let me know what you think. Any comments good or bad are welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• gp.jpg
    gp.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 441
  • gp2.jpg
    gp2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 461
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

Good job Ben!! I like the padauk and malle. I don't know about the ebony. It kinda makes me think of a "piggy in a blanket"...yum..!:biggrin: How are you planning to attach the finial?

talbot

Great job Ben, that's turned out really well.
Ive still to have a go at my kits from Gary but what i've seen from you guys so far with these kits are tough acts to follow.
regards, Bill

VisExp

I know I'm wearing out the SOYP forum

That's not possible, keep them coming :biggrin:

The pen looks very nice. I like the three steps and admire your craftsmanship. I do think the ebony looks out of place. The Ribbed Fruit Malle Burl and Padauk look incredible together. Maybe if you used one of the lighter colored dyed box elder burls instead of the ebony.

Color combination are something that I really struggle with.

PaulDoug

I like the look. Maybe it the Padauk was a little longer, so ther was less ebony might be an inprovement. Another one I hope you repost if you change the finial.

davinci27

There is alot more ebony than I originally intended, but after drilling a hole for the ink pump and leaving enough wood for the ebony to actually get glued to the tube, this is where I ended up. I am still trying to figure out color combinations and make proper wood selections. Normally zircote is my goto wood for dark accents. It's really dark but has enough grain to break it up. I hadn't turned ebony until the last couple of pens, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

How are you planning to attach the finial?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s..._European_Pen_Cap_Stud___euro_cap_studs?Args=

I've got some of these laying around for euros. After a quick test fit, they appear to work. I'll let you know soon as I've tried it out. Also you are right aout thos tennons they are tiny. I attached a pic of my parting tool. I didn't make one just used a saw I have around the shop.

I've got a couple more stepped ideas i want to try. I want to do one with the steps goin in the same direction and I want to try one where the steps alternate, but don't go al the way around. Hopefully that one will give the impression of a flower bud, but don't know how well it will work.

garypeck

Hi Ben... you attached the finial yet??? the ones from woodturnerscatalog?? was hoping you'd have some pics to show.... hahahaha

davinci27

nope I screwed up the finial, and don't have any more ebony handy. I'm going to order some the next time I order a kits so I'll take care of it then. I'll post pics soon as I've got it done

Top Bottom