Gar (fish) Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a CiGAR pen made from the scales and tail of a longnose gar. One of my other interests is bowfishing and gar is one of the species that we frequently shoot. My bowfishing mentor shot a small gar so I kept it and made a pen from it to give him as a token of my appreciation for his help! The lower barrel is made from the skin/scales of the gar and the top is made from the tail. I cured the skins myself and then cast them like snakeskin in Alumilite Water Clear resin. Comments appreciated, good or bad!

200792354239_Gar1.jpg

20079235437_Gar2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks Fishy to me! [:D] Well done and great job! I would love to see one totally made from the tail. Something about that doesn't sound right but the tail sure looks interesting! Still can't say how much I like the tail without sounding like . . .

The scale/skin part looks VERY good by itself too!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Great looking pen. I like it. I sure could have sold something like this at my show yesterday. Had several people ask me if I had anything for fishermen.

Darley

Curtis, that is a very nice pen, did you leave the scales on the skin or you remove them, how long did you let the skin to dry, I do Barramundi fish skin pen ( whith out scales )the skin is 0.032" thick and do not work with Alumilite or PPR,( goes translucide )but work with PR, what is the thickness of your fish skin?

again nice pen, what the top barrel made off?

M

Mudder

Very nice pen Curtis.

Are they any relation to a needlenose? The skin looks similar. Have you ever eaten a gar? Surprisingly they are not too bad. I've caught alligator and needlenose gar in Florida by casting a frayed piece of nylon. It's a little scary the first time you bring one of those monsters out of the water.

I'm sure that pen will become a treasured heirloom.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
How VERY Nice! [8D]

Curtis, how DO you cure the fish skin/scales. My nephew is a pro fisherman (so is his wife.) I'd love to know the secret.

underdog

This is a remarkable pen, and your mentor should be pleased with it.

I think I like the scales the best, but I'd like to see a couple that are solid tail and solid skin.

tishtigger

I to would also like to know how you cured the fish I would like to do rainbow trout or steel head I've been looking into it joined a taxidermy web site still cant determine the best way[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom