Fuyu, Haru Urushi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chriselle

chriselle

Winter and spring backgrounds with a black and red tamenuri finish. The base is ebonite and kit bits are from a spare titanium Jr.GentII. This was an order and I think she'll like it. There are MANY layers of raw urushi on this one so the red is a little obscured but in about 6 months to a year the raw becomes more transparent allowing the red to really pop. Simple is best.

Attachments

• IMG_9042.jpg
    IMG_9042.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_9046.jpg
    IMG_9046.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_9032.jpg
    IMG_9032.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_9040.jpg
    IMG_9040.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 237
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

Lovely work. Urushi is a wonderful if time consuming finish.

Interesting how it works too. Instead of drying, the Urushiol (the very stuff in poison ivy and sumac) polymerizes in the presence of humidity (hence one needs a humidor, or furo - or to be in Houston during high summer.) In one instance of a type of Urushi finish, I've seen egg white being mixed into the oil. Very cool stuff.

chriselle

Lovely work. Urushi is a wonderful if time consuming finish.

Interesting how it works too. Instead of drying, the Urushiol (the very stuff in poison ivy and sumac) polymerizes in the presence of humidity (hence one needs a humidor, or furo - or to be in Houston during high summer.) In one instance of a type of Urushi finish, I've seen egg white being mixed into the oil. Very cool stuff.

Thanks Kaspar. Actually, it's called a muro not furo. There are a bunch of ways to get the "bumps" and yes egg whites is one of them although I don't use it much. I like my patterns to be a little tighter.

bitshird

Chris, it's a beautiful pen, I guess it gives a new meaning to "a poisoned pen" it's difficult to conceive of a finish like that which is so neat, but it's made from Nasty itchy stuff. and that it keep changing, but I guess even CA changes over time, just not with an effect that will enhance the original look.

wizard

Beautiful pen!! Very nice profile and curvature...the red looks like its about to pop now...If you don't mind me asking..is that red black ebonite or did you just use the black. Doc

thewishman

:musical-note:I think I'll need an ocean, of calamine lotion...:musical-note:

Whenever I see urishi work, that song pops into my head.

That is a real beauty! Elegant shape and rich color. A right winnin' pen.

chriselle

Thank you all for the kind words. It means a lot....kinda smooths out the frustration of the whole urushi process.

Beautiful work as always. The only downside I see is that your work far overshadows the components used!

Agreed. But that is what the customer wanted.

Chris, it's a beautiful pen, I guess it gives a new meaning to "a poisoned pen" it's difficult to conceive of a finish like that which is so neat, but it's made from Nasty itchy stuff. and that it keep changing, but I guess even CA changes over time, just not with an effect that will enhance the original look.

Yes, it's kind of like a fine wine in that way.:wink:

Beautiful pen!! Very nice profile and curvature...the red looks like its about to pop now...If you don't mind me asking..is that red black ebonite or did you just use the black. Doc

No Doc, actually it's some brown stuff I wasn't happy with as is. The brown is buried under lots of black.

:musical-note:I think I'll need an ocean, of calamine lotion...:musical-note:

Whenever I see urishi work, that song pops into my head.

That is a real beauty! Elegant shape and rich color. A right winnin' pen.

Haha.....Yes, the stuff can bite. To make matters more dangerous, I LOVE the smell of urushi so as I'm applying I'm always bringing the pen body up to my nose for a sniff...nummy stuff. Fumes can cause internal irritation, too.

Chris~as always seeing your work is mind blowing. Great pen I love it!! I miss seeing your work you are so talented

Thank you Toni....back at you darlin.:wink:

renowb

I'm beginning to itch! Seriously, it's a beautiful pen and great accomploishment!

Top Bottom