Future Antler SHOW OFF!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from grub32

grub32

I didnt know where would be best to put this. So I figured I would put it where it will eventually end up.

Can anyone suggest to me where I should cut this to make the best possible blank. I have never done this before and I am looking to make an interesting pen from this.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Grub

Attachments

• Antler.jpg
    Antler.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mac

Just send it to me I'll take care of it.LOL Nice antler.
We have a guy in our local AAW club that turns a little( off center )that will insure that some of the charater stays.
I have never done it but some boil to straighten. I use the tips for keychains, so I always start at the tip using the smallest for slimelines, or bullet pens and use the bigger for other stuff or bigger pens. I always measure before I cut, saving all I can.
Some turn round before they drill also.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

keithkarl2007

Really depends on what kit you plan on using. If you have a calipers check the dimensions in a couple of places and be sure its a little bigger than the bushings for the kit you are using. Of course it'll be hard to get a 2 barreled pen but if you cut it in the right places you should get on ok

Pioneerpens

If you are doing a single tube pen, I would start by squaring at the base(above the larger diameter "knob", lay your pen tube next to it and mark at the straightest spot and cut from there. That is how I do it. You don't want to try drilling through too much of a bend as it has a way of blowing out the side or getting too close to it. I am not an expert at it by any means, but I have drilled my fair share of antler and that is what works best for me. I use a drill press which is probably more difficult than drilling it on the lathe. I am sure others will also have some tips/tricks to help you as well.

RAdams

Banned
I drill my antler on the lathe. I put the bit in the headstock and a live center in the tail. Make a dimple on each end where you want the bit to start and come out at. When you get the bit most of the way through, pull the tailstock back so as not to damage the bit or your live center.

Like the folks mentioned above.. Find the area you like that is straight enough, and thick enough. Go a bit off center to leave some rough, or go as close to center as you can get for a ivory type look.

Just my two pennies... hope it helps! Post a pic of the pen when you finish it!!

grub32

Thanks All, I appreciate the insight...I am working on a few other things and then I will get to making this into pen or maybe pens if I can squeeze enough for a cigar and sierra.

Grub

JohnU

Cutting is the least of your problems when worried about the pen. Drilling is what makes most of the difference. It doesnt look like you have a lot to work with so cutting will be easy. I would start at the base, (where the antler meets the head) and measure out to cut the largest in diameter tube, then from there cut the second tube length. It looks like the tips will be too skinny for pens but will work for keyrings. I would suggest when drilling to drill off center and near the side of the antler with the deepest bark to ensure visible natural surface when done. Good luck!

randyrls

It looks like the tips will be too skinny for pens but will work for keyrings. I would suggest when drilling to drill off center and near the side of the antler with the deepest bark to ensure visible natural surface when done. Good luck!

To join the thread; Why not use the tips? Think closed end pen here!

RAdams

Banned
I think the tips are too short for a closed end pen.

Think closed end keychain!

Top Bottom