Further Understanding of BOW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
At first look, this is just another of Eagle's blanks. There is more involved here, and I have his permission to relate it. Last year, I sent Eagle some odds and ends, including an Irish bog oak blank, and one of 100 year old angle cut oak from my grandmother's piano, the one that suffered through my piano practice until I turned to sports.

As a gift that is integrally linked to my earlier posts this evening, Eagle sent me the a blank consisting of a BOW blank with an inset of my grandmother's piano oak, and a cross of Irish bog oak, celebrating my past and my Irish heritage. To celebrate my Pennsylvania present, I filled the rings at the closed end with anthracite dust and CA. Yes, I know the close up reveals faults in my finish, but with my old eyes the pen looks good without magnification.

Jr Gent Version II Closed End Gold Titanium Fountain pen.

2006121222357_BOW%20Jr%20Gent%20in%20Box.jpg

2006121222433_Open%20Bow%20Jr%20Gent%20FP.jpg

2006121222513_Inlay%20Close%20Up.jpg

2006121222544_Jr%20Gent%20Cap%20and%20Closed%20End.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments welcome, and if I need another heritage pen, I know where I will have the blank made!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodmarc

Bill, That is an excellent pen. I am also of Irish Descent (Quinn) and understand your Irish Pride.

I really like the way you pulled it all together in to a most excellent pen.

Now, how in the world did you get those rings in the end of the pen? [?][?]
I have a hard time with a smooth end on my CE's.

Again. Great work.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Cav, You know how much I have been waiting to see the finished work.I like what you did to it.
I don't know if you remember but that is the last piece of BOW I purchsed when I bought my first lathe over 2 years ago.
The first pen I turned is out of that batch.
The oak is not cross cut it is quarter sawn. It gives the appearance of cross cut but it isn't.
Like I told you over the phone.I had to make a choice when orienting the inlay.The orientation I used made it easy on me.You on the other hand had the opportuinty to cleave it apart every time it revolved on the lathe.Ya done good.
BTW.
Lets hear the story about the box.
Did you make it?
Also I still think the bog oak should have been burned for heat before it went into the bog rather than be preserved.That is one Fugly piece of wood.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And, I believe these two gentlemen did not enjoy complete harmony throughout parts of the year. Yet, they found a way to come back together and do each other proud.

(Let's all be more like that!)[:)] (Lame smiley, Jeff)

I am pleased to call them both friends.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />And, I believe these two gentlemen did not enjoy complete harmony throughout parts of the year. Yet, they found a way to come back together and do each other proud.

(Let's all be more like that!)[:)] (Lame smiley, Jeff)

I am pleased to call them both friends.
You two are going to ruin my reputation.(deserved or not)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
We are trying Eagle. [:D] I even know stories that prove you have a bigger than average heart. (Think the Dr Seuss story "How the Grinch Stole Christmas.)

I have to admit that thinking seriously about BOW brought me closer to people. It has been an interesting year, but it is ending well.

I wish I could take credit for the box as I plan to learn how to make them. I got two boxes and two BOW blanks from Diane of BethlehemOliveWood.net off of Ebay.

Eagle gave me this blank that represented my heritage as a kind gesture. I made the pen and will always keep it as a reminder of friendship.

I don't do New Year's resolutions as a rule, but I will have one this year: I know I am stepping close to the rule against religion, but let me simply say the resolution starts with "As ye would that men should do to you..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom