Funky Cat Maybe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Kaspar

This one comes under the heading of "Pens I'd Never Have Made If Someone Hadn't Ordered It." But it's growing on me.

This is a closed end Jr Gent, with the copper cat blank from Exotics. Actually had to use two blanks to keep the background color the same on both the cap and the pen.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very cool !! How did you make the cap finial so that the pattern continues perfectly without any visible loss of material? Your blade kerf must have been as thin as the clip band.
Because you didn't use the cap CB, did you have to glue the black threaded insert into the tube to stop it pulling out? Impressive:biggrin:

workinforwood

That's a great looking pen Kaspar. I like how your cat blank revealed itself and I like the overall design of your pen. I have one of those too where I dressed the entire pen in cat and it does grow on you after awhile. It draws some attention at shows too. The material turns real nice too.

Kaspar

Thanks all!

Very cool !! How did you make the cap finial so that the pattern continues perfectly without any visible loss of material? Your blade kerf must have been as thin as the clip band.

Close enough anyway. The cat pattern is actually quite forgiving.

Because you didn't use the cap CB, did you have to glue the black threaded insert into the tube to stop it pulling out?

Oh yeah, but not right away. I made sure I had the exact alignment I wanted before cementing it in. Then I glued it top and bottom. At the bottom, there's a small gap between the tube and the plastic threads insert where it would normally slide onto the centerband piece. Perfect for a little carefully applied, thin CA.

Phunky_2003

That is stunning! I really like that. Dont know if I would have made one either, but now I can see quite a few being made shortly. Great work, the design of the pen is awesome. Very nice.

mrburls

Great looking pen. Fantastic design and workmanship. I like it. I think you may/should knock me off the front page :mad::mad: You deserve it thou.

Keith "mrburls"

JohnU

I agree with everyone.... that looks amazing! I think using 2 to keep the pattern was perfect and the shape of the pen just flows perfectly. The picture looks great tool.
I definately think this deserves the HOME PAGE!

MartinPens

That cap finial is awesome. Are you using one of those wood slicer band saw blades from Highland Woodworking? Excellent pen and craftsmanship.

Martin

Kaspar

No, that was cut with a Byrnes Modeler's Saw and the thin kerf blade. I expected the join to be pretty good, but not perfect so I was pleasantly surprised.

Out of curiosity, did anyone "get" the thread title reference?

Top Bottom