Fun with segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jlaviolette

jlaviolette

Playing around with some scraps. I had some bottle opener and razor kits to turn, so I figured I would try something new.

Purple acrylic, aluminum (soda can) and walnut. Finished with CA. Turning wood and acrylic together is a pain:

kUpPQgN.jpg

Black and white swirl acrylic, soda can, and walnut:
W0p4510.jpg

A few razors -padauk and maple, maple and black acrylic:
dUOsOi0.jpg

Here is the opposite to the padauk/maple one above

npdU8Gx.jpg

This is the first time I have played with segmenting. Any tips are very welcome and appreciated

Last edited:

jttheclockman

As far as the work it looks great. Segmenting just adds that bit of homemade look. It gives the piece another look.

As far as the different materials go and turning, yes there is a difference in texture. You should be able to feel this in your tools as you turn them and that is why is is so important to use sharp tools. This way you do not find yourself exerting any more pressure when turning acrylics or metals than when you turn wood. Have fun and keep them coming. I am sure they will be well received.

jlaviolette

Yeah, this board software does weird things with image sizing. I cut one of them waaay down.

Turning was tricky, but with super sharp tools it was ok. Finishing was hard. My sanding and finishing process is a lot different for acrylic than wood.

Very nice work. Clean and just nice. It may be a pain to turn dissimilar material but you proved it is well worth the effort on all of these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom