Fun with Polymer Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_O

I had some fun this weekend with polymer clay. My daughter has been wanting me to make a "special" pen. "Something unique" she said. "Not the same old antler, burled wood, or exotic wood" she whined! (she's tough or just spoiled[:0])

Well, we both got to have fun making this one. And it's definitely unique and special. She got to roll out the clay with a pasta machine until the colors were thinner than paper, and then we layered them together and rolled them onto the brass tubes. I fired them last night and turned them today. Finished with a CA finish.

They turn very easily, but the layers tend to try to flake off a little. Nothing that a little CA can't handle though.;)

Image Insert:
200483032847_MulticolorEuropean.jpg

69.01KB

Cheers,

Mike O'Brien

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice pen, did you bake them in a toaster oven or a big oven and how long did you bake them at what temperature? Also how thick did you use the clay. I tried this and all I got was brittle material that popped with my fingernail in little pieces. Did I bake too long (15 min) or to little and I used the temp on the package. It was about 3/8" thick on the tubes.

Mike_O

I baked the blanks for about 1/2 hour in an oven(my regular oven) preheated to 275 degrees. The clay on each side of the blanks was about 3/8's inch thick, but I also baked some of the scrap that was 5/8's inch thick to use later for centerbands and end caps, so I left them all in for a little extra time.

Mike

Doghouse

I have been forming it around the tube with good luck. the thicker the bend around the tube the less you have problems with flaking. Just have to make sure the blank is rough and there are no air pockets.

I am thinking of gluing a little sand to the blank then rolling the clay on. Only problem is that the sand glue would also have to handle the baking temp...

Mike_O

I sanded the tubes to rough them up and then rolled the clay onto the tubes. I still had one spin out, but I just put some thin CA in the tube and glued it back on.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom