Fun with flags- Texas edition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

My daughter now lives in Texas and has a fiancé who is from Texas. She teaches in an underserved community in Houston. She is quite the teacher, the standardized testing scores for her class were off the charts and her principal said that she had never seen anything like it. Needless to say I am quite proud of my little girl. Ala Sheldon Cooper, I have been having fun with flags. Here is the Texas edition.

Come and Take It
In early January 1831, Green DeWitt wrote to Ramón Músquiz, the top political official of Bexar, and requested armament for defense of the colony of Gonzales. This request was granted by delivery of a small used cannon. The small bronze cannon was received by the colony and signed for on March 10, 1831, by James Tumlinson, Jr. The swivel cannon was mounted to a blockhouse in Gonzales and later was the object of Texas pride. At the minor skirmish known as the Battle of Gonzales—the first battle of the Texas Revolution against Mexico—a small group of Texians successfully resisted the Mexican forces who had orders from Colonel Domingo de Ugartechea to seize their cannon. As a symbol of defiance, the Texians had fashioned a flag containing the phrase "come and take it" along with a black star and an image of the cannon which they had received four years earlier from Mexican officials. This was the same message that was sent to the Mexican government when they told the Texians to return the cannon; lack of compliance with the initial demands led to the failed attempt by the Mexican military to forcefully take back the cannon.

Texas State Flag
The Texas flag is known as the "Lone Star Flag" (giving rise to the state's nickname "The Lone Star State"). The current design of the flag was introduced to the Congress of the Republic of Texas on December 28, 1838, by Senator William H. Wharton, was adopted on January 25, 1839, and eventually became the current state flag.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Akula

Pen looks great.

As a Native Texan, those "underserved community in Houston" citizens and non-citizens might be offended by the pen. If it's like the 3rd ward, then they really don't understand or even care to understand History. They like in the moment and look for blame. Their political reps continue to flame the fires.

Majority of Texans see a problem, stand up and get busy. Some, like the "underserved community in Houston" sit back and wait for others.

But enough about them.

The pen looks great and Texans would love to have it.

Cwalker935

Pen looks great.

As a Native Texan, those "underserved community in Houston" citizens and non-citizens might be offended by the pen. If it's like the 3rd ward, then they really don't understand or even care to understand History. They like in the moment and look for blame. Their political reps continue to flame the fires.

Majority of Texans see a problem, stand up and get busy. Some, like the "underserved community in Houston" sit back and wait for others.

But enough about them.

The pen looks great and Texans would love to have it.

I certainly do not mean to offend anyone and my description of "underserved community" was my way of describing an area where the kids face extra challenges that are not of their own making, at least initially. Amy teaches in a charter school system, KIPP, where parental support is expected and kids are challenged with a longer school day and school year. The system seeks to create an expectation that the kids will go on to college from the first day that they enter the system. Kids are being taught the value of hard work and discipline. I have visited a couple of times and was surprised at how tough my daughter was on the kids and at the positive response from the kids. They love her and really seek to please. In short, these kids are being given the opportunity to not be "victims". You can learn more about KIPP here:

About KIPP - KIPP Public Charter Schools | Knowledge Is Power Program

flyitfast

Texas Proud!

Cody, there isn't a Texan that wouldn't be proud of a pen like that...

Thank you for sending me a set of those blanks as part of the PITH exchange. I will do my best to make you and Texans proud when I add components to the blanks.

Your explanation does well to add credibility to the education programs for the youth of Texas.

Gordon

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 155
Top Bottom