Fun Day in the Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cigarman

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarman

Had some time this last couple of days so I made these.
The first set the pen on the Right is Gold Burl from BB and the other is Gold Desert Iron wood. The other Pen is from some wood I have had for about a year and I think is some kind of spalded wood? All are made from slim line kits.
Comments and critiques are welcome.

2005219184946_PICT0109.jpg

2005219184850_PICT0103.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Good looking pens. Don't know quite what I think of the top two pens. It is interesting to see the same design in two different woods and how the wood seems to change the design. The burl pen seems to soften the design but the grain in the other pen makes it appear bottom heavy.

The shape of the bottom pen is hard to see as it's outline melts into the dark background. Still it looks like the wood has a lot of character and is well presented in this type of pen.

Gary

I think the quality of the turning is very good in all three pens. I like the design of the pen in the lower photo (beautiful wood too). The two in top photo don't do much for me. To me they seem bottom heavy. But then that's just my particular sense of scale.

woodscavenger

Great grain. Turnings appear well done. I would have to feel those pens before making any judgment on writability. They do look bottom heavy but it may feel great in person.

Gregory Huey

I'm going to go along with what has been said. Nice job of turning and good selection of wood. I do think the fist 2 look bottom heavy a little softer line on the 3rd one.Seems to flow better for my taste.

Tom McMillan

I like to see more grain!! And, I'll agree the top 2 do look a little bottom heavy---but, practicality is what counts, and there are folks who would "love" that type of pen---so, I think it all depends on what our customer needs and is looking for----this will work for some of them!!! I had a very close Pastor friend who passed away from ALS(Lou Gerig's) and when he was losing his grip this would have worked well for him---I made him a pen very similar that he found very useful because he could grip it much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom