Fun with Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from allenworsham

allenworsham

On Saturday I did 5 pens in BEB. 4 Sierras in black & gold titanium (1 went to a client before I shot my photos) and 1 Baron. The Sierras all turned out really nice as did the Baron. But I had issues with the Baron today when I went to take the photos. Since Saturday night I left the Baron with the cap off sitting in a pen stand so as to let all the CA gas out. But when I went to take my photo, I found that the posting end had slid out about 1/6" leaving a gap between the blank and the metal trim ring. So when I went to press it back in, the trim ring slide right over the threads and I couldn't get it apart. Oh well, it still looks cool, but the cap won't post.

200852011320_BEB%20Grey%203.jpg

200852011354_BEB%20Grey%204.jpg

20085201148_BEB%20Grey%205.jpg

200852011431_BEB%20Grey%201%20Closed.jpg

200852011443_BEB%20Grey%201%20Open.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

Originally posted by JayDevin

go to harbot freight....get the transfer punch set and you can fix er up asap!

I have the HF punch set and have used it before for disassembly without issue. But this one I couldn't get the end out after pounding it until my hands hurt. So rather than losing the blank or hardware, I felt it best to just go this route and leave it non-postable. It will end up as a gift or a personal carry pen.

jskeen

I've had that problem with the baron kits as well, the black coated brass they use for the threaded inserts is simply too soft and does not make for an effective stop when pressing the barrel together. Doing one end at a time, and using a press block for the second will help, but the black coating tends to wear off the threads as well. My future solution for this problem will be to order Jr. Gents instead of barons.

allenworsham

Originally posted by jskeen

I've had that problem with the baron kits as well, the black coated brass they use for the threaded inserts is simply too soft and does not make for an effective stop when pressing the barrel together. Doing one end at a time, and using a press block for the second will help, but the black coating tends to wear off the threads as well. My future solution for this problem will be to order Jr. Gents instead of barons.

I have come to the same conclusion about the Barons. I started out with 5 chrome Barons to do the learning curve one and this was the last one. Now that I have have more experieince, I will change over to the better finishes in the Jr. Gents.

Top Bottom