Fun with Antler, first bullet, and a Red Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buzzzz4

Buzzzz4

First time of working with antler and a bullet kit. Had some trouble centering the bit on the antler so I was able to save it and use it on a slim without a centerband. Stinky stuff but fun to shape. My question is what do you finish antler with? I micromeshed this and hit it with Ren wax. The third is a red acrylic on a slimline with my own centerband from a black acrylic.

Attachments

• Antler Bullet.jpg
    Antler Bullet.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Antler slim.jpg
    Antler slim.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Red slim.jpg
    Red slim.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Looks good! I finish mine with a good amount of BLO on a cloth then add CA to that and rub it on. The BLO really dulls the finish (its shiny at fist but give it a half day or so), and gives a natural look and feel- which I prefer with antler.

mickr

I do as you have..sanding high then waxing..antler is porous and obviously a living material and is hard to finish with most anything..my customers seem to like it "au natural"

Russell Eaton

I sand to 2000 grit then go to White Diamond then put it back on the lathe and while it is turning put 3 coats of lacquer on it. It won't take long to dry and leaves with a shiny finish. For a dul finish don't sand to 2000 just stop at 600 to 800.

Top Bottom