Full size Majestic in Elephant Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from terryf

terryf

I have been working on this for some time and finally got around to finishing it last week. Still not happy with it so I'll probably wack it apart in the near future to amend :)

Sorry about the odd hair and thumb print :redface:

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_8496.jpg
    IMG_8496.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_8497.jpg
    IMG_8497.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_8498.jpg
    IMG_8498.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

This might clear the air on legal Ivorys:

DISCLAIMER: We have slightly simplified some of the federal government's requirements and definitions in order to provide an at-a-glance guide to a complicated area of the law. State laws on ivory vary widely, so if your goal is to confirm that your own ivory is legal, consider this guide a starting point rather than the final word.
Establishing Provenance
Unfortunately, there is no official "ivory certification board," nor can collectors simply show up at a Fish and Wildlife office to have their ivory assessed. Provenance is best established by assembling a paper trail, in the form of import records and bills of sale. For instance, another guest at the Chattanooga ROADSHOW, Kris from Humboldt, Tennessee, explained to Asian-arts appraiser James Callahan that he was lucky enough to have a record of an appraisal of his ivory conducted in 1922, another acceptable form of documentation.
In general, these are the facts that are important in the eyes of the law:
  • the country of origin
  • the country of export
  • the year in which the ivory was imported
  • the specific port through which the ivory entered the U.S.
  • whether the ivory is from an African or an Asian elephant
  • whether the ivory is raw or worked
  • the age of the ivory object at the time of import into the U.S.
Finally, if you don't intend to travel with or sell your ivory, it is probably not necessary to establish all the above. Says Mason, "There are no 'Rockefeller' ivory laws. You're not going to have the ivory police come in and haul you off." But if you do not wish to have your family's heirloom added to the heap of ivory confiscated by customs officials each year — much of which is not even necessarily illegal, only undocumented — forewarned is forearmed.
enddot.gif

For more on elephant conservation and the owning and selling of ivory, see:
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) The Web site of CITES, with specifics on signatory countries and how the Convention works.
Endangered Species Act (U.S. Code: Title 16, Ch. 35) Text of the of the federal ESA statute, on the Web site of the Cornell University Legal Information Institute.
African Elephant Conservation Act (U.S. Code: Title 16, Ch. 62) Text of the of the federal AECA statute, on the Web site of the Cornell University Legal Information Institute.
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Division of International Conservation A government Web site with information about the Fish & Wildlife Service's species conservation programs.

terryf

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yip, just to make you drool Roy :)

As far as legal ivory goes, its only the US thats really full of BS when it comes to elephant ivory. We can purchase ivory here from our National Parks Board. The money is used to combat poaching. I may not export an ivory pen blank to the states but you can come here a trophy hunt a bull for around $20000 and legally take all the ivory back home - go figure!!

CITES recently gave a permit to SA to export 300 tons of the ivory to the east and since that happened, poaching of Elephants has dropped dramatically.
Rhinoceros is now on the poachers list and we haven't yet been able to get it under control.

In a nutshell, if its under 30cm or less than a kilogram in weight you dont even need a permit for it here in SA.

Thanks again for all the comments, really appreciated!

wizard

Terry, That is a stunning pen! Gives true meaning to the word Majestic! Please tell me that your are not going to use your hammer technique on this one :eek:. I like it the way it is.. Regards, Doc

terryf

Thanks for all the kind comments. Its actually not as great as it looks - thats just my photography hahahaha

There is a slight shoulder just below the crystal that is very visible to me and as long as it is there, it will bother me.

Top Bottom