Fruitless Pear, Spalted Hackberry, and Lacewood Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AWLogue

AWLogue

Hey all!

I got a chance to turn last Saturday thanks to some of the members here helping me find a lathe to use near Waco, where I'm currently residing. Here's what I was able to make:

Spalted Fruitless Pear
Spalted%20fruitless%20pear_zpsogponemu.jpg

Spalted Hackberry
Spalted%20Hackberry_zps5foxd2wb.jpg

Lacewood
Lacewood_zps7mpzfqul.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AWLogue

Gorgeous !!!

Your finish is flawless. Major Props

Great Job

Thank you both!

The finish is Mercury CA on all three. 3-4 coats thin and 4-5 coats medium applied directly from bottle, smoothed by blue shop paper towels. Sanded with 400-800 abranet, then the 9-step 1500-12000 grit Micro Mesh pads. I'm getting much better results with the 9-step (from the Classic Nib) than with the 6-step set (From PSI).

Drewboy22

Gorgeous !!!

Your finish is flawless. Major Props

Great Job

Thank you both!

The finish is Mercury CA on all three. 3-4 coats thin and 4-5 coats medium applied directly from bottle, smoothed by blue shop paper towels. Sanded with 400-800 abranet, then the 9-step 1500-12000 grit Micro Mesh pads. I'm getting much better results with the 9-step (from the Classic Nib) than with the 6-step set (From PSI).

I noticed a big difference as well.

My abra net only goes to 500... Are you sanding between each coat of medium? Are you using an accelerator?

AWLogue

I noticed a big difference as well.

My abra net only goes to 500... Are you sanding between each coat of medium? Are you using an accelerator?

I got the starter set from Robert Kulp creations, it has 120, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, and 800.

No sanding was done between coats.

Starbond aerosol accelerator was used for all except the first 1-2 coats, because they cure almost instantly.

Glad it all worked out for you. Nice job on the pens.

Thank you!

AWLogue

Absolutely gorgeous. If you have more of the wood hang on to it. I can only imagine other pens dressed to impress.

I'm going to order some more soon before my source runs out! I'll be putting some of the fruitless pear on a Mistral rollerball; a new kit from Beaufort Ink.

Beautiful pens!

Great job on the pens Aaron!
I am glad you got hooked up with a lathe!

Thank you both! I'm quite glad as well. It's a great stress reliever right before finals.

ironman123

Aaron, welcome to Waco. Don't forget to go to SWAT in August if you are still at Baylor then.

Those are some great looking pens.

AWLogue

Very nice but the salted Hackberry is my favorite

Thanks! It does have some beautiful lines. I have some magnolia that should turn out similarly, but a little darker tan, to try with my next batch next week.

Aaron, welcome to Waco. Don't forget to go to SWAT in August if you are still at Baylor then.

Those are some great looking pens.

I will still be here and plan on attending! Thank you.

Beautiful work on the pens, Aaron.

Thank you!

Top Bottom