Front Cover Pen - 2nd Edition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I was fortunate and I'm grateful to have a pen on the front page. I also really appreciate the feedback. Here is the 2nd edition. I evened out the finials so they would be really close to matching. I also found that the first one was a little too short for me when holding it to write with. I lengthened the pen. By far the longest pen I've made - total length = 6 and 3/8 inches. That's a full inch longer than a standard Churchill. It doesn't fit in any case I have.

I think I'm going to make an optional cap/base - something inspired by YoYoSpin. So that base will be the third edition. But that's after Father's Day when I get the rest of my orders filled.

The wood is Curly Koa and Blackwood finials.
Thanks!

I'm open to feedback.

Martin

Attachments

• Custom-7611.jpg
    Custom-7611.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Custom-7612.jpg
    Custom-7612.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Custom-7614.jpg
    Custom-7614.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Custom-7615.jpg
    Custom-7615.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Custom-7616.jpg
    Custom-7616.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Custom_7613.jpg
    Custom_7613.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 124
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Now THAT is a nice pen! The finials look great and the way you smoothed out the transition at the centerband makes the shape flow rather than look choppy.

Rick_G

Great looking pen. Much nicer than the original churchill. You have inspired me to give something like this a try sometime in the near future. Great work on the finials although I do like the look of the smaller one on the cap of the original a little better.

You guys that dream up these ideas blow me away, I can see something and come up with something similar but to envision the original is a talent that I just don't have. Love seeing things like this.

jskeen

Great work, improved an already nice concept. I like the desk base idea as well. As for not fitting in your cases, I would definitely think this one rates a stand alone display box. Probably need to make it yourself, but it's not that hard. The pop up mechanism is not that hard to copy, and is definitely worth learning to do.

Personally, I think the gold trim goes better with the tone of the wood, but hey, that's just me.

Mark

Very nice. Your alterations has really driven home, that even the slightest change can alter the entire pen. It really opens a world of possible combination's, to create the perfect pen for any given individual. Thank you. Nicely Done...

MartinPens

Great work on the finials although I do like the look of the smaller one on the cap of the original a little better. /quote]

Rick, I agree with the finial choice. The next one will have a more tight fitting lower profile like the one you took notice of. I need to rethink how I'm cutting and measuring my finials. If I flip everything around I can dry fit while in the process of making it. With these, it was measure, eye the shape and hope it fits. A little improvement each time.

Martin

jskeen

I may need you to point me in the right direction with this one. I've been thinking on making a custom bandsaw case for this one with some lower grade koa. I'm open to ideas.

Martin

Oh, I didn't say I had learned it, just that it was a good idea. Lots of things seem to fit that catagory with me. Maybe Curtis or somebody who's actually done it (unlike me) will jump in and give us a tutorial.

I do think a custom version out of koa is way better than a stock one from maple or mahogany even if it is an exact copy. Just cause it's custom and matching.

Top Bottom