Frodite pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dvoigt

Dvoigt

I don't see alot of pens made from Fordite, but up recently picked up a bunch and have had some good success turning it and selling them.

It's a weird material in that it is soft, but brittle. Because of this I need to have a light touch and very little pressure. I have only had 1 blow out so far. When I get close I do alot of sanding.

I send up to 12,000 and then do 3-4 layers of CA and sand back to 12,000 and then buff. After all automotive paint should look like automotive paint. I like to pair the fordite with a fun gear shift pen or a classy majestic pen.

Some of the material is from a dodge plant in Columbus, some is corvette paint, one from a plant off 8 mile road from the 50-60's and another one from the 70's.

Derek

Attachments

• fordite pens 3.JPG
    fordite pens 3.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 301
  • fordite pens 2.JPG
    fordite pens 2.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 300
  • fordite pens 1.JPG
    fordite pens 1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 317
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

Dvoigt

I'm supposed to see him again later this year. I'll see if I can pry any away from him. I'm not ready to part with any of my pieces yet.

Penchant 4

Origins

When vehicles were spray painted in booths (the old-fashioned way) "Fordite" was abundant. It was the overspray that built up on the insides of the booths. Periodically, the build up would be chipped off. Fordite was the result.

Since methods changed, overspray has been all but completely eliminated. Hence, its scarcity.

Bill

Pen Joe

love the colors and I like to make the gear shift pens also, thanks for sharing with us.

Top Bottom