Fried Brain Series 1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bananajeep

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananajeep

My first attempt at using polymer clay for pen blanks. These are both from the same batch of clay, my "Fried Brain" series. Both with a CA finish. I thought they turned out pretty cool (photo needs some work). What do you guys think?

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtate

Cool! Is this Fimo clay? I just baked up a batch of 'blanks; from fimo, thinking that I would drill them and see if they could be turned. Brilliant minds must think alikle, huh?

How was the stuff to turn?

bananajeep

Originally posted by jtate
<br />Cool! Is this Fimo clay? I just baked up a batch of 'blanks; from fimo, thinking that I would drill them and see if they could be turned. Brilliant minds must think alikle, huh?

How was the stuff to turn?

This was Sculpey III, I think it is basically the same as Fimo. I covered the brass tubes with the clay then baked them, so no need to drill them, just trim and go. I used a spindle gouge and skew. They turned nicely. finished them off with CA.

Mike

bananajeep

Originally posted by pmichris
<br />I like the look, I think I could find several buyers in my area. Where did you get the clay from?
I got the clay from Michael's. I did some research online to figure out some cool designs. The pieces were made from a "cane". The design did not turn out as intended, but the result was good none the less.

johncrane

G'Day Mike your pen looks fantastic my first try at clay pens was not good l used the wrong clay when l tryed to bake it.IT all whent wrong l just smoked out the house and l was not very liked after that one. l have the Sculpey clay now but have not tryed it yet'could you tell me how long did you bake it and what temp you used thanks yours has turned out great well done.[:D]

Dario

Are you using a regular oven to bake these or a kiln? How long and at what temp?

Very nice and gives us more posibilities. Good idea!!!

Charles

Ditto what John and Dario said. Please let us know the temp and time and about wether it was a klin or a reg. oven. BTW Great Looking Pen. Kinda' Shagadelic Man.

bananajeep

I googled polymer clay. I found the following site useful. (http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/masterindex.html). Under the topic of Canework you will find techniques and designs. basically you make a long roll "cane" which contains your design and you cut slices from it and press them onto to the brass tubes (no glue or prep) and press them togetther to fill the gaps. pop the blanks in the regular oven on a piece of foil for 15 minute (per 1/4 inch or 6mm thickness) at 275 F (130 C). I put mine in for about 17 minutes. When the come out of the oven they are still a little soft. Let hem cool and they are ready to trim and turn. I wet sand with mm up to 12000 and finish with CA. I did not take picture while making these. Next batch I'll take picture along the way. Let me know if you have any more questions. I made two pens start (open pkg of clay) to finsh (showing off to my wife)in one evening.

Mike

20061117205948_SculpeyIII.jpg

2006111721012_sliced%20cane.jpg

2006111721034_baked%20blanks.jpg

JimGo

REALLY cool design, and neat looking pen. There's an article in one of the polymer clay magazines from late last year or early this year about a guy who has specially-made slimline kits for use with polymer clay. If I recall correctly, his components do not press fit; they are simply glued into place. This is to help prevent introducing any stress onto the PC during assembly. Others here have spoken about using PC for pen bodies, and I think they mentioned that it is fairly brittle. I thought about trying CA to help "stabilize" the PC, and will be curious to hear how this pen holds up. Please keep us updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom