Fresh off the lathe to-day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dougle40

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougle40

This is my first attempt at laminating 2 woods together . Cocobolo ends and Curly Maple centers with a Cocobolo center band . I've added a second pic that is lighter and shows off the Cocobolo much better .

51521228_Curly%20Maple%20,%20Cocobolo%20001-1%20sm.jpg

160353_Curly%20Maple%20,%20Cocobolo%20001-1%20sm-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Nice shape! Reminds me of a lady that once told me no! (OK - she told me no several times...and there might actually have been more than one lady.)

dougle40

Tahnks for all the comments . This pen actually turned out much better that I had expected . The only problem I had was applying the finish . I had to do the Cocobolo first and wait for that to cure and dry then do the Maple the same way , then finally re=do the entire pen with the finish . I had to do it this way to prevent the darker color from the Cocobolo from staining the Maple but it worked .

Tom McMillan

Yes, not sure what finish you used?? I've done similar with friction polish to be sure not to carry the darker color into the lighter. With my 2 layer spiral pens, I try to do one wood at a time and have been using a Q-Tip with CA---and have found that to be a pretty good method of applying a finish for those pens.

dougle40

Yes, not sure what finish you used??
I'm using Lee Valley's Turners Polish (Behlans in the US) and it worked out great by applying it with a small piece of paper toweling and rubbing it in with the lathe turning . Just had to be careful though .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom