Fresh off the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dougle40

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougle40

This pen is made from "Antique Pine" that was SUPPOSED to come from 100 year old timbers from an old house . Must have been SOME kind of sealer on it because the shavings came off in curls . Really wet wood .

200412174474_Pens%20020-1-sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

You said antique pine.
Any chance it was Southern yellow pine?
My old mill house is over a hundred years old and there is still sap oozing from the timbers.
That may be teh reasons it seemed "wet"

dougle40

Eagle ,
You could be right . I bought it from Steebar and they call it Antique "Heart" Pine . Interesting about the 100 year old mill house and the sap still oozing from over 100 year old timber . Maybe I should apologize for using the phrase "SUPPOSED" to be . I guess we all "live and learn" throughout our lives.

wayneis

Doug thats pretty nice work, good job.

I did a black titanium cigar using antique long leaf pine that was also 100 years old from Texas. David Borek sells it and it's a little different from what you show but is pretty fun to turn. His came from some Government building that was torn down. I wet sanded with blo because the resin cloged the sandpaper so bad and then it worked great. The lines that you see in mine are pure resin. I only used blo as a finish and it's just beautiful. I think that I have a photo in my album of it.

Wayne

G

Heart pine T&G flooring goes for about 5.00 LINEAL foot(1x4)
Heart pine is indeed SYP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom