French Galalith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

After seeing some of the posts of pens made with Galalith, I found some vintage French Galalith (1920's era) on eBay. Drilling at slow speeds with a sharp drill produced a strange smell, as well as smoke when the drill bit was withdrawn (I drilled on the lathe and kept spraying water so it wouldn't overheat or crack).

The first one is a silver marbled black Galalith, while the second one is a multi-colored marbled blank.

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Black & Silver French Galalith.jpg
    Black & Silver French Galalith.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Multi-colored Marbled French Galalith.jpg
    Multi-colored Marbled French Galalith.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 347
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Pens are very hard to see !! Suggest using a lighter background to bring out the detail of the pens. Pens look very nice. Jim S

elkhorn

After seeing some of the posts of pens made with Galalith, I found some vintage French Galalith (1920's era) on eBay. Drilling at slow speeds with a sharp drill produced a strange smell, as well as smoke when the drill bit was withdrawn (I drilled on the lathe and kept spraying water so it wouldn't overheat or crack).

The first one is a silver marbled black Galalith, while the second one is a multi-colored marbled blank.

C & C welcome.

Ok, I think :big grin: In response to the "too dark" comments, I'll try to repost them on a lighter background. Hope this helps.

Thanks, all.

Attachments

• French Galalith Black & Silver.jpg
    French Galalith Black & Silver.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 171
  • French Galalith Multi-colored Marbled.jpg
    French Galalith Multi-colored Marbled.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 170

plantman

C & C welcome.

Ok, I think :big grin: In response to the "too dark" comments, I'll try to repost them on a lighter background. Hope this helps.

Thanks, all.

Much better !! They realy look nice on that piece of lighter wood. Jim S

penmaker56

Galalith is just another name for Casein that was stabilized with formaldehyde, it is still hydrophilic, meaning it will expand and contract with the humidity in the air.

elkhorn

Thanks, everyone. Richard, thanks for that bit of info. That may be part of the smell I noticed.

Take care,

John

Top Bottom