Freestyle Pen Entry Pen(2nd Place)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

Here is some other photos of my pen entry. It Mexican redheart with a guitar string wrap and a grey acrylic that I that came from Jonathon Brooks. The grooves were all filed by hand. That was a new experience. My wife decided I should make the Anvil as opposed to a large stone. Comments and Critiques are always welcome and thanks for looking.
FC8CD1AB-7322-4988-A356-CE530028A57C_zpsh18dyhes.jpg

A05BCBD6-2531-48D0-B9CF-3EA6ED7091E1_zps4usxmauc.jpg

The other photos are here
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f261/freestyle-pen-contest-poll-119914/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

you would be incorrect.:eek::biggrin:

I cut all grooves with files from start to finish. started with a small triagle file to get my lines. After having the groove to follow I changed over to round files. took 4 sizes.

I started the one for the guitar inlay the same. I changed over to a hacksaw file to get the depth right. each end of the guitar string is wrapped over the edge and stuck down in a a small hole I drilled to secure it. The grooves for it was also cut in each end so the cap would not sit crooked.

Phil

Very nice pen and very creative Phil! I presume that was done with a Beall Pen Wizard?

Harry

firewhatfire

you would think it was genious. nope it was my 2nd choice of material. I was tryingto twist wire for it and kept breaking it. I used an article on this website to reference it. Culver Knives: Tutorials

Making A Spiral Fluted and Wire Wrapped Dagger Handle

Whoso Pulleth Out This Sword from Phil's hand, is Rightwise King Born of all Penland!!!

Fantastic Phil! The Guitar string was inspirational....really makes it.

SDB777

A 'stone' made out of polymer clay would have been awesome though.....

Like the hand filed grooves, just gotta know...how did you get them so perfect? I too thought you had used one of them 'wizard' tools systems!

Scott (guitar string ain't just for burn-lines) B

plantman

Phil: AWESOME< AWESOME< AWESOME !!!! Had all the photos been allowed (5) and a more detailed discription of how it was totaly hand made, I think more people would understand how much design, planning, and craftsmanship went into the making of this fine work of art. Being an antique tool collector and working with the hand tools, I can fully understand the pride you must have in this master piece of creation. I think the anvel was a much more impressive detail than the rock would have been, although either would have wowed the pen world. Thank you for your out of the box insite. Jim S

firewhatfire

Thanks for all the kind comments. Maybe I should learn to better describe things on the first try. On the the up side my describing abilities is just a little worse than my photo abilities. Which is horrible I hear.:rolleyes::biggrin:

OZturner

Ingenious Pen, Phil.
Really one from "Outside of the Box" or should I say "Rock"
Superb Exercution, and Finish.
Congratulations, "King Arthur," I mean Phil.
Brian.

Top Bottom