Freedom Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

These are the first 5 pens from my box of free corian from the FPP people. They are on their way to Neil as we speak to go over to the big sandbox in John's name. There are a few flat rate envelopes out of this package that got sent out to spread the wealth, so let's see some results from them in this thread as well if they are ready. I could probably part with another envelope or two if somebody else want's to get into the act, with the stipulation that they end up with the troops, either directly or through the FPP.

Attachments

• PICT0168.JPG
    PICT0168.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

The Freedom Pen Project has their own forum over at Sawmill Creek. All the details are in there, but the short version is.... Corning donated several tons of red and blue corian to the project several years ago. They (the FPP) will ship anybody who wants to pay shipping a flat rate box full of red and blue industrial trimmings (they are irregular, but all at least 1/2 inch thick. The person who administers the project will include an equal amount of white in the box from their personal stock. A flat rate box is about 30 pounds and would make (I'm guessing) several hundred pens. The FPP also sells slimline kits at about $1.25 per (for use in the project) They ask that finished pens (of any sort, not just corian) be sent back to them for distribution to active duty military personnel overseas. There are several private parties sending pens to the troops and while this is not really approved by the project, they ask to be notified via email if their materials are used and delivered this way, to help document usage of donated materials and maintain their non profit status.

I took it upon myself to make up a few flat rate envelopes of red white and blue material and mail it out to people who were interested in sending some pens to the troops, but didn't need 30# of the stuff.

Here's the link to the forum. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17

The material will need to be laminated (if desired) cut to size, drilled and turned for whatever pen kits you are willing to donate. Slimlines can be drilled and turned from a single thickness of the material with a little care. Most anything larger would need to be glued up (I use thick CA and clamp flat sides together for about an hour, then cut, round over, drill and finish turn). Thinly turned corian is somewhat brittle, and care must be used assembling finished pens. It may also crack later if temperature fluctuates greatly, but in general it is a fairly stable and durable pen material.

Last edited:

bitshird

Well I tried to register with sawmillcreek and it won't let me. I would like to help but I guess I will go a different route.

Rob. same thing with me, I tried when Garymax was sending some pens. maybe it's an invite thing I dunno I sent a few to neil today, and going to do some more this week end.

The pens look nice, I like the different designs, I've never worked any Corian, there is supposed to be a special adhesive for it.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I've never worked any Corian, there is supposed to be a special adhesive for it.
I do a lot with corian and I just use plain ol' CA. The stuff you are thinking of may be the corian colored joint filler or the super thin aircraft grade CA.
Thanks for making the pens.

If anyone wants some of the corian, let me know and I will make sure you get some.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Jim, the package just arrived and they look even better in person. Thank you so much for the generous donation, the troops are always grateful for the pens that they receive.

tbird

jskeen, I would be interested in an envelope of corian. How would you like to handle a transaction?

Neil, are you involved with Sawmill Creek? I've never thought the FPP was run very well thru them. But I do think its a good cause. Are you forwarding pens to them or do you have another source to ship to?

Marcia

Top Bottom