Frankenstein Pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ladycop322

ladycop322

I was trying to be creative today and glued some scrap pieces together. This was the result...

Attachments

• 20140425_172748.jpg
    20140425_172748.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 414
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

:biggrin:Your pen looks great!

Now since you are new here, we can overlook something here THIS TIME.:roll eyes: The phrase "Frankenstein pen" is actually a precise technical term, in part carrying with it the meaning that you cobbled together parts from at least two different kits. :wink: :biggrin:

Now, back to your pen. The segmenting looks very nice, more as if you planned a pen then went looking for the right materials, rather than already having the scraps and making the pen from what was there.

It appears that the pen turning addiction has set in deeply, and there is no escape remaining. Enjoy your hopeless situation!!:tongue:

Last edited:

TonyL

Questions

I was trying to be creative today and glued some scrap pieces together. This was the result...

Very nice pen...makes me want to try this technique. I have some questions that I hope you wouldn't mind answering. In fact, maybe others could share their opinions/practices?

If this is something that can be done with left over acrylic:

Do the gluing surfaces have to be square? How do you square then so that the segments sit completely on top o each other?

What type and thickness of glue do you use?

How do you find the center of the irregularly shaped and different dimension blanks?

I guess it is desirable for each segment to be at least a 1/4 or 1/2 inch?

I am sure that I am missing something. Thank you

ladycop322

Steve,

LMBO! I had no idea the term Frankenstein was even used in pen turning....hahahahaha I just said that because I used different pieces of scrap to glue together...I was just playing around and didn't think it would turn out that nice...Next time I will separate the colors with a gold or silver aluminum divider....

Michelle

ottotroll

Hi Michelle,
I like making this type, also.... I have made a "quilted" pattern one by starting with 3 different color (and heighth) blocks and alternating materials all the way up - be prepared to have lot of "blow-out" on the lathe, but.... it looks pretty cool! (I saw in your profile that you enoyed quilting, lol)

vakmere

Very nice pen...makes me want to try this technique. I have some questions that I hope you wouldn't mind answering. In fact, maybe others could share their opinions/practices?

If this is something that can be done with left over acrylic:

Do the gluing surfaces have to be square? How do you square then so that the segments sit completely on top o each other?

What type and thickness of glue do you use?

How do you find the center of the irregularly shaped and different dimension blanks?

I guess it is desirable for each segment to be at least a 1/4 or 1/2 inch?

I am sure that I am missing something. Thank you

I've done a half dozen "pieces pens" and I just glued them up as they were. Long ones, short ones, crooked ones. Mixing it up without any worry about technicality or who will buy it is what it was about for me. Kind of like a fruit basket. I did this one with acrylic and wood mixed together. Looked like........strange. The pen kit really didnt matter either. Ladycops pen looks pretty cool and she used a pricey kit to boot.

The stanger the better.......

Attachments

• Strange.JPG
    Strange.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Top Bottom