Franken-Cigar Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
About a month ago a new member wanted to trade blanks for a pen. I swallowed the bait (willingly) and we traded PM's and decided on a trade of pens with the cigar kit as the model.

Recently, I have been destroying my kits to make different "thingies"... Atrax/Triton/Jr Gent specifically. So, what can I do with a nice Cigar Kit....

Has anyone else turned a pen for a sale/gift/trade and after finishing wanted to keep it? :eek::eek::eek:. Well, That was the case for me, so I needed to make a second (keeper) pen :tongue:.

A few quickie comments: Sanded down the center band coupler on the lower blank - now can have whatever profile I want. Sanded down the upper blank insert (not the correct term I know), and after turning the upper blank to approximate size, turned a portion down to the tube, glued a black acrylic section to overlap the lower blank. I also had to redrill/sand the black segment to fit. Ask if this is not clear. :biggrin: And the finial popped out with much reluctance!

The second pen is actually not as nice as the first, so the second will be the keeper. I had many issues with each... But had FUN!

The center profile is a bit slimmer than the typical cigar, so it is a lighter overall profile. (I suspect there are kits out there with these dimensions...but why make it easy). :cool:

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Why didn't you grind off or machine down that horrible ridge on the nib while you were at it ? ... still gives it away as a cigar ... as does the clip :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jus' jokin' .... like your mods !! :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Why didn't you grind off or machine down that horrible ridge on the nib while you were at it ? ... still gives it away as a cigar ... as does the clip :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

What horrible ridge Mal ??? The edges look perfect to my eyes!!! :hypnotized::glasses-nerdy::glasses-cool::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::hypnotized::hypnotized:

OK, OK, I know what you are looking at!!! Truth be told... I actually did sand down that edge. And in the second pen, I did not machine/use that piece. :redface: Actually did not need it.

And I had no better label than a Franken-Cigar!!! So a cigar it is!

IWC

Pen Exchange

Well Mark, I am not going to post a pic of the one I made for you, hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise when it gets to you. I love the looks of the one you made, can't wait to get it in my hands :biggrin:. I am not as advanced of a pen crafter as you but I think you will like it. Feel free to post pics when you get it, I only took a quick pic with my cell phone before I boxed it up.

Thanks for the fun !

David

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

OK, now I realize what you were suggesting. That is a nice idea, will have to account for the different length and profile. Hmnnnn.. Maybe!

Top Bottom