FP from the Pen Turner's Bible

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stevej72

Stevej72

I've been wanting to make this piece of Cumberland Ebonite into a kitless pen for a long time, but of course procrastinated because I didn't want to ruin it. When I got my Penturner's Bible and saw the pen in Chapter 32 I knew that was the one. I made my own mandrels and my next day off I want to make my own FP section.

In person it looks like it is polished up nicely but in the pictures it looks like it needs a lot more. Also, not sure how to handle the threads to get them looking better. And, I should have cleaned my nib up a bit before pictures.

Attachments

• Cumberland Ebonite FP 1.jpg
    Cumberland Ebonite FP 1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 459
  • Cumberland Ebonite FP 2.jpg
    Cumberland Ebonite FP 2.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 390
  • Cumberland Ebonite FP 4.jpg
    Cumberland Ebonite FP 4.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1,097
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That material is just plain pretty. Nice job turning. I like the shape, but I'm with Fred on the clip, although it looks fine without one.

brownsfn2

These kitless pens look so awesome. I am inspired to try this. I just need to get the tools. Really, really, awesome look! Well done!

Stevej72

Thank you everyone, for the nice comments. The Cumberland does thread very nicely. I don't have a lot of experience threading yet, but so far that is the best stuff I have threaded.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Steve: I think your self criticism on your photos is mainly a matter of a few dust spots. Those can be cleaned up, quite easily, with photoshop clone tool.
Beautiful Pen!!! I love turning ebonite!

wizard

Steve, That is an absolutely stunning pen in my favorite color of ebonite..your finish looks like glass. May I ask the steps you used for polishing and buffing ? I am sure your section will be as outstanding as the pen. Please post the pen with the completed section. Thanks for sharing. Doc:)

Stevej72

Thanks Doc! This is my favorite Cumberland as well. I am still trying to "perfect" my process of finishing ebonite. Most recently after I've finished turning the piece I start with 600 grit sandpaper, then go to 1000 and 1500. After that I used Micromesh wet. and then went to the Beall buffing system.

I had a piece of the Cumberland that was big enough for the section but now I can't find it. I'll have to tear up the shop tomorrow until it turns up. If I can't find that I do have some black ebonite I will use.

Top Bottom