Four of a kind....comments please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I had fun in my shop last night. After teaching the craft (read: spreading the addiction) to a newbie I spun these out. I little departure from my norm. Any comments are welcome.

Pen 23- Walnut with birch dowel inlays in gold cigar kit. I am going to try a few variations on this theme.

Pen 24- Mesquite. Great grain pattern.Much prettier than I expected. This blank was a freebie from BB. :) It really has a lot of character with black, brown, and yellow swirls. I did notice however it is a finicky wood to turn. The skew would seem to skim a little then suddenly cut very deep lines. That's why I had to use the burn lines close to the center as a "accent line" (read: I screwed up and had to cover up);)

Pen 25 - Maple burl with spiral carving. Turning a skew catch into art! :DOn my last cut I caught the skew and dug a huge spiral gouge about 1.5 turns! Ouch. [xx(]:( Set it aside and moped for a couple of days before deciding to try this for a salvage.[8D]

Pen 26 - Wenge with satin gold trim. First try with the satin. The wenge seemed to hate the CA-BLO finish.

23-26-w-m-m-w.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fleabit

Nice job on the saves! Good looking pens. I like the Mesquite pen the best. The burns look like you intended them to be there. Great work.

low_48

Really nice work, nice ideas. I too would have hated that skew catch. That was one nice piece of burl. I'm curious about the darkness around the birch dowel inlays. Did you use black CA to glue them in? If they were a little loose before the glueup, I'd try a slightly smaller drill and taper the dowel for a really snug fit. I've also seen guys take a piece of brass tubing for the inlay, with a piece of contrasting dowel in the tube. I bought a dowel making jig from Lee Valley so I can now make exotic wood dowels. Let me know if you want me to run something for you. It only takes a few minutes, the material would be most of the cost.

Rich

woodscavenger

I am not sure about the black lines. The fit was TIGHT on all but the largest dowel. I just used thick CA so I am not sure why the black line. Thanks for the offer on the dowels. I will have to tuck that away in my memory bank. I think for now I will do some more experimenting with the cheap stuff. I may try oak because the open pores are interesting. Cool idea on the brass tube inlay. I may try that as well. Thanks guys.

Chuck C

I like them all. The style and what you turned is a work of art. The Wenge doesn't take a very good picture but I have a few blanks and know what they look. The nice thing about these is that if you were to purchase one you wouldn't be leaving a copy still on the display. Your walking away with an obvious original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom