A FOUNTAIN OF LEATHER AND LEAD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jjartwood

Jjartwood

So the unwritten rule at the JJ Artwood Nat'l Hq. is that if it's left laying around long enough,it's gonna end up on a pen tube.
Such was the case with SWMBO's leather boot laces.
I secured the leather laces to a pen tube wrapped some (you guessed it )
copper foil tape around them and soldered on the tape to add some rigidity
to it,I was quite amazed at how much the leather moved around but that's part of the learning curve I guess.
C&C welcome
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
When your in uncharted waters you can only learn as you go. The concept is neat. I would have liked to see more copper than silver of the solder but thats a personal taste not a criticism. You definitely have a flair for design.

Jjartwood

In looking at this pen further I think this style would be better fitted to a larger platform
like a Spring Blossom or something along those lines.
These EL Grande's seem very specific as to what they can carry for a finish and tend to
carry Exotic Woods very well,(thats why we buy extra tubes,right?)
This is a concept project and just a start but any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Mark

firewhatfire

I agree a different set would work. Spring blossom has a lot of room on the bottom tube. I like this better than your last one. You do inspire folks to rethink how things are done. I see a Saxon army coming together in this one.

Phil

wiset1

I love the work you do, but this is a miss for me. I feel like this is a clunky mess that lacks visual balance. We've come to know creativity and artistic value from your postings and have even seen people copy your designs, but this one just doesn't do it for me. Creativity and effort for trying something new...you've got me intrigued and wanting more, but I just feel like there could be more to this...?

Honesty helps us grow

Jjartwood

This gets worst looking the more I look at it,It's already been scrapped and the components re-bagged!
I think this is one for the DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU page :)
Mark

Dan Hintz

I would have liked to see more copper than silver of the solder but thats a personal taste not a criticism.
Agreed.

On that note, I'd also add that the leather strips make it look somewhat like an old barrel... I think it would look really slick if the copper wrap was done in brass instead, then maybe aged. Go for the entire old aged barrel look. Something to consider for the next one...

Top Bottom