Found wood, nice surprise!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lazyguy

lazyguy

I have been buying cigar boxes at the local Up in Smoke for a dollar. Nice wooden hinged and hasp boxes. Last weekend I grabbed five and in one I found what looked to my eyes to be 2 pen blanks. Maybe they were some sort of spacers, I don't know. I don't even know the wood. Next week when I am back in the area I will be sure to ask because this is the result. The second one I think should be a cigar. :wink:

Attachments

• mystyslim.jpg
    mystyslim.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 327
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

That is definitely a great find. I look forward to hearing what kind of wood it is.

Congrats..

thewishman

They use Spanish cedar as both spacers and (I think) to absorb moisture. Some light the cedar and then light their cigar with the burning wood.

That cedar is used to make fine humidors.

lazyguy

They use Spanish cedar as both spacers and (I think) to absorb moisture. Some light the cedar and then light their cigar with the burning wood.

That cedar is used to make fine humidors.
Thanks for the info, now I know. I have a new favorite wood.:biggrin:

el_d

What do you do with the cigar boxes? Build guitars? Nice pen.

Paul,
I went to the cigar shop to get some boxes just for that reason, I saw your guitar and want to make one.

Douglas,
The pen is nice they use spanish cedar in the boxes, i have a few cigar box blanks myself, just havent turned them yet, Nice to know that they will look nice when done.

lazyguy

Paul,

I use the boxes for kit storage etc. I will have to look into guitar making. The link you posted is blocked at work likely due to the high incidences of tobacco product words?

I did some searching on the internet and found that it's color varies. It is also oily which was not apparent to me until I started with the CA. That is why the depth of color was so great. I really enjoyed turning this and I believe will become my wood of choice when looking for a dark wood.

Top Bottom