Found an old fountain pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dr_N

Dr_N

Rummaging through some old stuff and found an old PSI fountain pen kit. I think it's classic, maybe classic elite? My daughter had been begging me to make her a fountain pen, so this seemed like a perfect opportunity.

Credit to Mal, for encouraging the use of calipers rather than bushings, this was my first bushing free turn as well as my first fountain pen.

Please excuse my terrible photography...

5ee914f41ed8f330b4673778f3b7f0db.jpg
c63a8ce59e1fde4b469fd47990b34f67.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Photos are great ! . VERY nice looking pen !!! . I really like the blank you used !

I don't recall the o-rings being part of that kit.

Last edited:

Dr_N

Thanks Mal! The blank is homemade PR, with Pearl Ex. I'm not certain how old the kit I found is, PSI doesn't appear to carry that particular pen kit any longer. I was surprised to see o rings in the bag. Not sure I'm crazy about them, they make screwing the cap on and off feel odd. Overall though I like the way it turned out.

magpens

The Classic and Classic Elite show up in a table of tubes and bushings that I have which is dated 2010. These are PSI kits but were also sold by CSUSA.

If, for any reason, you want a copy of that old table (which I find very useful) then I can send it to you as an attachment if you email me at mgrphillips@yahoo.com

The table cannot be sent via the IAP communication system ... I have tried before.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Really nice looking pen!! And the photography looks GREAT to me!!

The o rings were an attempt to correct the metal on metal threads. When the cap is in place, the added friction helps keep it from falling off. I never used them on the finial end, because when you are writing, gravity should help and you will certainly notice if the cap is loosening. When you have the pen capped in your pocket is the time the o ring is an important addition.

FWIW,
Ed

Dr_N

Thanks Ed. That makes sense about why they used them. After your mentioning it, I may remove the finial o ring also.

Top Bottom